Why become a member? ×

I gigged the Squier Classic Vibe Precision

Grand Wazoo

I giged my new CV Jass last night. Very impressed with it. It was a boomy stage but I got a nice off stage tone.
I'll be getting some wizards for it this week but only becuase I want a slightly punchier tone, I could live with these pups if I had to.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='861655' date='Jun 8 2010, 11:32 PM']Nice one!

Bro Richardus - did not realise ye had boughteth oneth!

Nick x[/quote]

Oh yes Brother Nikoluss, I actually bought a batch of two as orders for pupils, but one got cancelled. Sounds great and a dream to play as well!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='865868' date='Jun 13 2010, 12:30 PM']I giged my new CV Jass last night. Very impressed with it. It was a boomy stage but I got a nice off stage tone.
I'll be getting some wizards for it this week but only becuase I want a slightly punchier tone, I could live with these pups if I had to.[/quote]

So was I right then, Dave? :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='865962' date='Jun 13 2010, 02:21 PM']So was I right then, Dave? :)[/quote]

Yep, spot on Rich. nice one.

At no point during the gig did i think i was playing a £250 bass. It will be nice to play on a proper stage next week, it was so boomy on stage i felt i was holding back too much. So great bass but poor acoustics.

Only thing im not 100% with is if i should shim the neck. I have the action pretty much as i want it. 2mm at the 12th fret and the bridge saddles are in a good position but the action seems ot increase quite a bit pass the 12 fret, finishing up at 3mm. Im wondering if shimming with even out the action a bit.

And i still need ot decide what pups to put in. Im sure Wizard 84's would work (and Andy has recommended them based on what i asked him) but im still not sure about the dirty term used. I prefer a smoother tone.

Hey Dave,

By the description of the neck, you just need to do an eighth to a quarter turn anti clockwise on the trussrod. Sounds like it needs a little more relief. Technically, you should have a little more give at the twelfth compared with the 20th & 1st, giving the slightest of curves as you look down the neck edge from the tuning end. :)

Jazz necks seem to settle happiest when you just have that slight bit of relief in them. I've had to learn all of this via trial and error in the last few years, as my Status necks never move a millimetre!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='865990' date='Jun 13 2010, 02:40 PM']And i still need ot decide what pups to put in. Im sure Wizard 84's would work (and Andy has recommended them based on what i asked him) but im still not sure about the dirty term used. I prefer a smoother tone.[/quote]

I'd go for the Nordstrand hum cancelling ones. I played a set in a Japanese Jazz and it was exquisite!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='865996' date='Jun 13 2010, 02:43 PM']Hey Dave,

By the description of the neck, you just need to do an eighth to a quarter turn anti clockwise on the trussrod. Sounds like it needs a little more relief. Technically, you should have a little more give at the twelfth compared with the 20th & 1st, giving the slightest of curves as you look down the neck edge from the tuning end. :)

Jazz necks seem to settle happiest when you just have that slight bit of relief in them. I've had to learn all of this via trial and error in the last few years, as my Status necks never move a millimetre![/quote]

Cheers Rich, ill give it ago. I must admit the neck is almost straight so maybe i went a bit over the top with my set up.

To be honest the Nordstrands are out of my budget. Im pretty set on a pair of Wizards.