Why become a member? ×

80's no name precision copy

Cygnus x-1

As the tittle says, back in the early eightie's there was a north of England basesd music shop chain called E.D. Brown Organs. Anyway they sold no name Fender copies of strats, teles and precisions which I think were made in Japan (Japanese gear wasn't as well regarded back then as it is now)

All the guitars and basses were only available in two colours, either suburst with white scratchplates on the guitars and tort scratchplates on the bass or an off white colour with white plates on all three, all had maple necks.

I had a white precision one and supurb it was too, had 2 years then traded it in, later in the late eightie's I bought another white one but that one wasn't quite as good as my first, didn't know much about set ups then so second one probably just needed a set up. sold the second one. wish i'd kept one now just for sentiment.

Anyway, anybody on here had/have one or know anything about them, or know someone who had one or maybe still got one? My mate still has a white strat version. Just curious, thanks...Nick.

Edited by Cygnus x-1

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='861289' date='Jun 8 2010, 05:57 PM']somebody told me because this shop was big on yamaha keyboards, piano's and organs, thay they could have been early yamaha copy's, possible?[/quote]
Yamaha sold copies in their home market but didn't really sell them in the UK, and by the 80s was well-established with their own original designs.

If these basses & guitars were around in the 80s then it's likely they were Korean imports rather than Japanese. The Japanese copy era was pretty much over by the end of the 70s, with the major brands establishing themselves with original designs.

As the Jap instruments went more upmarket, budget ranges started to be sourced from other countries, predominantly Korea, where the guitar manufacturing industry had followed a similar pattern to Japan's in the 70s, with factories like Cort, Samick & Young Chang able to achieve similar high standards to the Japanese but far more cheaply.

Jon.