Why become a member? ×

Overplaying parts?

tylerlangan

In rehearsals always play whatever you want BUT [b]record it and listen back to it later[/b]. You'll soon hear which bits don't fit the song, or if you've played simple you'll hear where there's room for fills or something that fits better.

Sometimes a busy bassline makes a song (Hit Me With Your Rhythn Stick), sometimes a simple underpinning line creates a great mood/feel (Walking on the Moon), sometimes it's a bass fill that becomes a stand out part (and here my rubbish memory lets me down, but you get my drift...)

Steve.

[quote name='Sean' post='92525' date='Nov 22 2007, 07:56 AM']Carol Kaye :huh: said in one of here emails that she has a rule of doing a fill every eight bars if needed, otherwise stick to the groove. JD1's comment is spot on and this is what I try to do now after being guilty over some serious overplaying in the past :)[/quote]

Soapbox column in the latest Bassplayer magazine (Cover date November 2007 with Meshell Ndegeocello on the cover, expecting new one out soon) suggests resisting the urge to put the fill in every 4/8/16 bars... just keep plugging away with the main riff and let the dancers get themselves into a trance state... The suggestion comes from Brad Houser

The article hasn't made it onto their website yet...