Why become a member? ×

3 pickups, 3 volumes wiring

Fat Rich

Inspired by The Grand Wazoo's 3 pickup Big Al5 bass, I'm thinking about adding another jazz type single coil to one of my old basses....

Can I just wire up a volume control to each pickup (3 vols in total) with no problems? And then run the resulting mix to the original active tone control, which currently receives it's signal from a blend pot?

I've vague recollection that it's not as simple as that but it's a long time since I fired up the soldering iron....

I'd prefer not to use switches as one of my favourite sounds on this bass is 100% bridge pup with about 60% neck pup mixed in. It'd be great to be able to experiment with different amounts of each pickup.

Cheers

Is it the wiring for a 3 pickup / 3 vol?

[quote name='7string' post='844739' date='May 21 2010, 11:32 PM']Try [url="http://www.guitarelectronics.com"]the Guitar Electronics website.[/url]

There's loads of wiring diagrams on there including some for 3 pickups.[/quote]

Thanks for the link, I had a look at the 3 vol + 3 way switch, I reckon with the switch in the middle position then the output from each vol is effectively connected together so hope fully this means I can do it.

I guess the next thing to do is to try it (and probably burn myself in the process!)

I'm also thinking that the two existing single coils work as humbuckers when both are turned up, if I add a third single coil it may produce double the hum with one of the existing pickups.... maybe I'd be better off adding a humbucker instead.