Why become a member? ×

Trace AH600 problem

TheRinser

Hello chaps,

Hoping you can offer me some advice on this...

I've had an AH600SMX for a good few years now, recently noticed that one of the power amps is distorting. I've changed leads and speakers and it's still there on the right output. Left is clean as a whistle but the right is distorting the signal. It's quiet when I'm not playing anything, i.e it's not making noises when it shouldn't, just the wrong noise when I play.

Any idea what it could be?

If so, roughly how much do you think it'd cost to get fixed and where could I get it done?

Cheers!

Tom

Hmm, maybe. I've had that same side cut out before (once, ages ago), dropped it on my bed from 6 inches or so up and that seemed to cure it... Would make sense eh? Would a dry joint cause it to distort the signal or would it most likely just cut out?

[quote name='TheRinser' post='835696' date='May 12 2010, 09:24 PM']Hello chaps,

I've had an AH600SMX for a good few years now, recently noticed that one of the power amps is distorting. I've changed leads and speakers and it's still there on the right output. Left is clean as a whistle but the right is distorting the signal. It's quiet when I'm not playing anything, i.e it's not making noises when it shouldn't, just the wrong noise when I play.

If so, roughly how much do you think it'd cost to get fixed and where could I get it done?

Cheers!

Tom[/quote]

I have an old series 6 AH150 which my Dad bought me way back when....... which is why I kept it. It was in my home studio for years, then about 5 years ago it started doing exactly the same thing so I put it in the loft. Well 3 months ago and Mrs S and I decided to move... clearing out the loft I thought... sadly I gotta get rid of this. Plugged it in for one last time... hey presto it works great............. since found out there is distortion on only one of the speaker outs and not the other, and since it is only used in 'the lab' (studio) with an old 2x10 cab Its a keeper as it sounds nice. I can only assume its something pretty minor between the power amp and the jack on the output. So even if you can't solve it. It should cost much to fix. Try cleaning the plugs out to see if it helps. For info I have been gigging two old AH300 Series 6's for years. They have been very reliable. Even when something major goes wrong it only costs a few pounds to sort out. This is because all the high voltage stuff is point to point wired in these dudes, no printed circuits and all the components are off the shelf (caps, resistors) i.e. no proprietry components. This is true of all the older trace units and the new ones made by Peavey, Which is why they give 5 years warranty! It was just that bit in the middle when they decended to mortal amps!

Give these people a call they will be able to fix it for not much coin. Might mean driving down the South End... Its depends on how much you love your amp!

Electronic Music Services
Rear of Prittlewell House
30 East Street
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
SS2 6LH
Phone: 01702 613172
e-mail: [email protected]

[quote name='TheRinser' post='835696' date='May 12 2010, 09:24 PM']Hello chaps,

Cheers!

Tom[/quote]

I have an old series 6 AH150 which my Dad bought me way back when....... which is why I kept it. It was in my home studio for years, then about 5 years ago it started doing exactly the same thing so I put it in the loft. Well 3 months ago and Mrs S and I decided to move... clearing out the loft I thought... sadly I gotta get rid of this. Plugged it in for one last time... hey presto it works great............. since found out there is distortion on only one of the speaker outs and not the other, and since it is only used in 'the lab' (studio) with an old 2x10 cab Its a keeper as it sounds nice. I can only assume its something pretty minor between the power amp and the jack on the output. So even if you can't solve it. It should cost much to fix. Try cleaning the plugs out to see if it helps. For info I have been gigging two old AH300 Series 6's for years. They have been very reliable. Even when something major goes wrong it only costs a few pounds to sort out. This is because all the high voltage stuff is point to point wired in these dudes, no printed circuits and all the components are off the shelf (caps, resistors) i.e. no proprietry components. This is true of all the older trace units and the new ones made by Peavey, Which is why they give 5 years warranty! It was just that bit in the middle when they decended to mortal amps!

Give these people a call they will be able to fix it for not much coin. Might mean driving down the South End... Its depends on how much you love your amp!

Electronic Music Services
Rear of Prittlewell House
30 East Street
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
SS2 6LH
Phone: 01702 613172
e-mail: [email protected]