Why become a member? ×

Cab Rec for Trace Head?

Count Bassie

Hey folks,
I know, "Get a trace cab". But they seem to be rare in these parts, and I thought I'd look around for options. I remember having a 200GP7 head years ago and ran into an old Guild/Hartke 410. Currently I'm using a 250SMX into a pair of Bag End 15s and it sounds just fine. I'm looking for a second rig, and wonder about something maybe a little less expensive.

I love 15s, but if I had just one cab, and depending on what it was, maybe I'd go back into a 410. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Edited by Count Bassie

Hey,

I'm using my AH600 (when it's working) with a peavey 210 and peavey 410. Both are fairly heavy but both sound good, are cheap (each around £100 secondhand) and they allow me a nice modular setup:

small gig = 210

medium gig = 410

big gig = 210 + 410.

Sorted!

I s'pose I have the added bonus of both being 4 ohm cabs running into separate power amps on the AH600, thereby getting full power from each of them whatever I'm doing.

[quote name='Mog' post='838535' date='May 15 2010, 06:44 PM']I run an Ampeg B410HE with my TE. Plenty loud at 150 watts. Then again I hate too much sound coming from the stage and prefer if FOH sorts out what is heard by the crowd.[/quote]

The whole front-of-house thing is something that until now I haven'ty dealt regularly with. I've recently gotten into a Portuguese-traditional/Anglo-pop band, and they always use a complete sound crew. Generally it's a large-stage affair and sound needs to be heavily managed, so I'm looking a little differently at my rig nowadays. I'm not all about trying to push out into the room anymore, I just want to be heard on the stage. Needs to be punchy, vital, but I don't need to rumble the bottles off the bar across the room! That's no longer my part of the business in this context...

Last night we played our "Launch Party" at a large hall with full FOH, light show, and fog machine (what a gas- my kids loved it). After sound check I cleaned up my sound a bit, as the monitors all over the stage and 4x double-18 subs in the large room created quite the morasse with what I usually dial into my rig. Had to get the blur out as much as I could. So what I think I'm after is clean and clear, with good dispersion.

I've played in seedy rooms that can hold 60 people for the last 20 years (mild exaggeration), so this new format is sort of a low-level 'life change'! It's like getting a bigger, new comfy chair! :)

Thanks for the rec's, yeah and I would like to keep the 'Trace signature' going on, I'm having a good time with it. Seems to me speakers take care of a bulk of that signature, so maybe that's where I should be looking (at Trace, I mean). Alrighty, I'll be checking back in, thanks all.

Edited by Count Bassie