Why become a member? ×

Lefty upright wanted

macclad

[quote name='macclad' post='831647' date='May 8 2010, 06:21 PM']Hi ,i know it's a long shot ,but does anyone know where i could buy a lefty upright? Iknow its a big job to convert a right hand bass,any help on this would be greatly appreciated!![/quote]

It depends on your budget and what you want to do with it: orchestral work, rockabilly, bluegrass, pizzicato jazz......

[quote name='macclad' post='831776' date='May 8 2010, 09:46 PM']mostly bluegrass and jazz,my budget is around £1500[/quote]

For a bit more money you can get one from Bob Golihur sent to you from Bulgaria with a solid carved top rather than a ply top. You can get Plywood top lefties with greater ease from Germany also at this price.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='831943' date='May 9 2010, 09:10 AM']For a bit more money you can get one from Bob Golihur sent to you from Bulgaria with a solid carved top rather than a ply top. You can get Plywood top lefties with greater ease from Germany also at this price.[/quote]
thanks for the info,i will keep trying !

[quote name='keeponehandloose' post='832467' date='May 9 2010, 07:13 PM'][url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_1_l.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_1_l.htm[/url]

Try this,there are a couple of more expensive models also.
I f youve not bought from them before ,they are great to deal with.[/quote]
Thanks very much for this link,i'm sure i will be getting myself one of these lefty's

[quote name='macclad' post='833519' date='May 10 2010, 07:55 PM']Thanks very much for this link,i'm sure i will be getting myself one of these lefty's[/quote]

If you do, please post what they want for shipping, I don;t think their website is accurate re: shipping prices for v large items like this.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='834192' date='May 11 2010, 01:23 PM']If you do, please post what they want for shipping, I don;t think their website is accurate re: shipping prices for v large items like this.[/quote]
The website says its free shipping on orders over £195,not bad at all

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='macclad' post='831647' date='May 8 2010, 06:21 PM']Hi ,i know it's a long shot ,but does anyone know where i could buy a lefty upright? Iknow its a big job to convert a right hand bass,any help on this would be greatly appreciated!![/quote]
hi,try peter tyler basses in dorney reach buckshe has been a double bass dealer/repairman for a long time and has always been helpful to me,tell him pete cronin recommended him

• 2 weeks later...

Although probably a little late now but thought I would just post here that the Bulgarian basses mentioned by synaesthesia in this thread have been available in the UK under exclusive licence for the last three years now from my company Sandarac Ltd. These basses are truly excellent value ( I would say that wouldn't I) and you no longer have to ship them from the US. We are based in north Essex and generally have samples of all three bass models in the showroom at any one time. All are welcome to come along and try them out. Left hand models are however only available to order. Check out the website www.sandarac.co.uk. If you are interested please give us acall before setting out.
Thanks