Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Squier CV Precision

Waterboarder

Hi,
I love this bass, but after putting on some heavier gauge strings, there is more tension on the neck so the truss rod needs a tweak.
Shouldn't normally be a problem, except that the hole by the nut where the allen bolt sits is very deep, so deep that you cant even see down into it to check what size allen key you need. Even if I did, it'd need the long end of the allen key so I doubt you could get enough leverage to turn it.
The wood doesn't seem to have been cleaned up too well when the hole was drilled either so its tricky to feel what size key fits. Bugger.
I wondered if anyone's done this adjustment on these basses? If so, what size key is needed and what is the best way to tackle it?

Cheers

[quote name='Waterboarder' post='829555' date='May 6 2010, 01:10 PM']Hi,
I love this bass, but after putting on some heavier gauge strings, there is more tension on the neck so the truss rod needs a tweak.
Shouldn't normally be a problem, except that the hole by the nut where the allen bolt sits is very deep, so deep that you cant even see down into it to check what size allen key you need. Even if I did, it'd need the long end of the allen key so I doubt you could get enough leverage to turn it.
The wood doesn't seem to have been cleaned up too well when the hole was drilled either so its tricky to feel what size key fits. Bugger.
I wondered if anyone's done this adjustment on these basses? If so, what size key is needed and what is the best way to tackle it?

Cheers[/quote]

If you've bought this bass new (as I have the same one) it comes with an angled hex wrench which reaches the end of the bolt comfortably and all you need is a 1/4 turn to adjust the neck curvature to requirements. Go easy and don't over turn it. Also remember if you increased gauge you've also increased mass hence the saddles will have a thicker string each and needs to be slightly lowered to ensure the ideal action. Your local music shop should have the correct hex key if you don't have it. I don't know the size of it, sorry.

I bought mine new but didnt get the hex wrench with it. Went back to the shop earlier and they said they dont give them out as sometimes people dont know how to use them and snap necks :)

They did say they'd set it up for free tomorrow but I'm still going to need the right tool to do it in future - and they must get them when they get their order surely?