Why become a member? ×

Another impedence question

tazza1

Hi all

I have various amp heads with two speaker out sockets. I also have a Trace Elliot 2x10 8ohm cab & an Ampeg 1x15 8ohm cab.
Both of the cabs have two jack connections. With my Laney DP150 (which has a minimum 4ohm impedence) I usually connect one of the speaker outputs to the Trace cab & then link my Ampeg cab to the 2nd connector on the Trace cab (I'm not an electronics expert but is cabling it this way wiring in series?). The reason I do this is that the output volume seems to be higher this way rather than cabling to each of the outputs on the amp. I'm wondering now though whether I will cause any damage doing this as when I've tried it with my Marshall 3530 head (also minimum 4ohm) I experienced the sound breaking up then cutting out completely after a few minutes. This happened a couple of times & I assumed at the time that the amp had a problem. Have I damaged the Marshall doing this, if so, is it because I've gone lower than the minimum impedence?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Tazza

[quote name='tazza1' post='811579' date='Apr 19 2010, 05:29 PM']Hi all

I have various amp heads with two speaker out sockets. I also have a Trace Elliot 2x10 8ohm cab & an Ampeg 1x15 8ohm cab.
Both of the cabs have two jack connections. With my Laney DP150 (which has a minimum 4ohm impedence) I usually connect one of the speaker outputs to the Trace cab & then link my Ampeg cab to the 2nd connector on the Trace cab (I'm not an electronics expert but is cabling it this way wiring in series?). The reason I do this is that the output volume seems to be higher this way rather than cabling to each of the outputs on the amp. I'm wondering now though whether I will cause any damage doing this as when I've tried it with my Marshall 3530 head (also minimum 4ohm) I experienced the sound breaking up then cutting out completely after a few minutes. This happened a couple of times & I assumed at the time that the amp had a problem. Have I damaged the Marshall doing this, if so, is it because I've gone lower than the minimum impedence?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Tazza[/quote]

Does not sound like you are doing anything wrong and maybe the problem with the Marshall is something else.