Why become a member? ×

strings for my Peavey jazz copy

daz

I have just got a Peavey milestone 1 off ebay for the cool price of £31. (see end of this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83503&st=20"]click to go to thread[/url]) The strings are dead as a doornail. Any advice on what new ones to go for. I have just realized i have never bought a new set of strings for a bass before. Only picked the bass up again before xmas, so first time for buying new strings. I play with a pick mainly so i think id like to go for some flatwounds, or maybe half rounds? See i cant even decide that. Not even sure what size to go for ?! The sort of stuff i like to play is Stranglers, Joy division, The Jam, Black sabbath. Sorry to be so vague, can any one point me in the right direction ?

ps: i have just read somewhere to make sure the new strings are the same gauge or i will have to alter something or other. Short of taking the bass into my local muso shop and plonking it on the counter, how do i find out what gauge the originals are? Oh wo, it getting stressfull :rolleyes: :)

Edited by daz

I think they recommend lighter gauges if you're using flatwounds - but hopefully someone else will confirm or contradict that.

Geezer plays DR Handmade strings. If that helps. I have DR Black Beauties on my Damien, which I really like. Except maybe the G is a little zingy - not sure.

I also run Warwick Red Labels (a nice cheap set) on the Vampyre. But that's in a thicker gauge, downtuned.

"Standard" gauge would be 45-105 so you probably have choices close to that without having to worry about your action/nut too much.

Edit: I'm a mook. 105 not 125.

Edited by Eight