Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is my amp too big to hear...????

Tegs

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update this thread..................... have now played two gigs since, one with only the 4x10 'cos the place was so bleedin' small and one with the full rig but the 15" being nothing but a glorified stand......... and guess what? Could hear myself clear as a bell, no booming bottom end or flapping trousers :)

Obviously still good to have the 4x10 off the floor but when standing that close, it just sounds much better on its own.

Cheers for the advice everyone!

There is a school of thought... to which I subscribe, that says you shouldn't mix and match different types of cab. In an ideal world they would be identical but 10s and a 15 is a big no-no. You have enough trouble with interference patterns and phase oddness from two cabs without introducing the complexity of different types of speaker working the same frequency range. The ideal setup is one speaker (and this is in general - not just bass amplification). Anything more than that is adding complications. So, like everybody else says, unplug the 15 or get some in-ear monitors.