Why become a member? ×

(another) RGT grade 4 exam question..

Sarah5string

Starting to panic a bit now as have put in for my grade 4 so it's all a bit real and am now crapping myself :)

Today's question is... in the exam you've got the bass patterns section and the performance section... can someone explain what the difference is as from where I'm sitting they both look the same! Playing along to chord charts?

Seeing my tutor tomorrow but thought I'd ask in here before then as I'm racking my brain over it..

'Bass Patterns' means what it says - you have a number of specific patterns to learn note-for-note and regurgitate as required in the exam.

'Performance' is the Bass player's equivalent of the 'Lead Playing' section of the RGT guitar series - you get a chord sequence and a style guide, and the rest is up to you.

The main difference is that the patterns are learnt as is and then played as required, whereas the Performance is essentially an improvisation.

Hope this helps.

I've been an RGT registered tutor for 14 years. If you want more advice on the RGT format, feel free to PM me.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='804376' date='Apr 12 2010, 11:14 PM']Thanks :) So for the patterns section will I basically be given a written bassline and then have to play it straight away? Or will they play it and I'll have to play how I think it goes?[/quote]

They'll be in the grade book (should be 4 of them, from which you can choose 2). Sorry if it sounds confusing but it'll make sense when you get the book. If you've got your wits about you it's easy marks. It's a bit like the 'Riff' section in the Rockschool series if that helps.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='804844' date='Apr 13 2010, 01:29 PM']I've got the book yea... so will the patterns only be the ones in the book then?[/quote]

Yup. Better still, you get to choose which ones you do. Like I said, learn the riffs, practice moving around with changing chords and Bob's yer uncle (or in my case, yer dad :) ).