Why become a member? ×

Stingray nut question

kevbass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='795562' date='Apr 4 2010, 10:58 AM']Both are 43mm wide at the nut but you might run into problems with the slot width and depth. Most new nuts will need a bit of sanding to bed in right, get the right height, etc., so maybe worth a try if you're not happy, a new nut is only a few quid.[/quote]

I'm in the process of having an antique camel(!) bone nut fitted to my OLP MM2. I'll update you when I get it back - the plastic stock one was a crime against humanity.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='806791' date='Apr 15 2010, 07:59 AM']Arf! :) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

There's no "hump" anywhere 'Doc! It sounds like a different guitar - thankfully.

I had the bass set up by a member on here called 7String who lowered the pickup, re-set the bridge and carved the camel bone nut specifically for my low C# tuning. I wouldn't say it completely resolves any pickup issues, I think I'll still look at replacing it with a Wizard or a Kent but it really sounds ridiculously better.

Apparently the camel bone absolutely stinks when you cut it so 7string recommends not doing this inside your house as he did! From the moment I saw the thing it smelled of death anyway...

So to answer the question - Camel bone is the winner for an OLP but get someone reliable to fit it. If you're in or around Glasgow 7string is your man.

Next OLP mods 1. New Hipshot string tree/retainer to replace rotten silver plastic thing (cheers Neepheid) 2. CTS pots etc 3. Learn how to wire up a MM pickup with a DPDT switch

I might also redo the headstock - i.e. strip the silver and logo down to natural wood and lacquer it. The silver body is one thing, the crappy silver headstock is something else entirely. I hate the way they do that matching headstock thing. It's vile.