Why become a member? ×

Time

No1skewenjack

I currently practise on average between half hour (min) and hour a day. The very most between hour and half and two when my girlfriend is in night college and I get to turn the amp up :) and do my playing in 15 to half hour chunks.

I've been having lessons for the last couple of weeks. About one every two weeks. My teacher gave me 5 rifts to learn, 12 bar blues to concentrate on my technique and rub out all my bad habits I've picked up. (First lesson in about 10 years so was very rusty). He said to concentrate on the top 3 which I have done and I think I have nailed them. to worry more about technique and timing and then try to increase the tempo but only if the first two are spot on. I can nail the 3 songs on a slow temp of 70bpm but have started the other two rifts yet.

Is this playing time or should I put more time and effort in?

I think the amount of time and effort you put in should be entirely dependent on how you feel about playing. If you're enjoying it and aren't getting any aches you could spend all day practising if you want. If you're busy or have other priorities, that's fine too . There's really no right or wrong to the amount of practise you put in - unless perhaps you've got an entire set to learn before next Saturday.

Just bear in mind that the more practise you put in the quicker you'll improve.

(I've dodged the thorny issue of how to spend your time practising efficiently).