Why become a member? ×

The Fantastics! @ The Wardrobe, Leeds

Ray

Hi all,

We're finally playing up north again!

[url="http://www.thewardrobe.co.uk/event-detail.asp?view=day&date=2010%2D04%2D24"]http://www.thewardrobe.co.uk/event-detail....=2010%2D04%2D24[/url]

SPANISH HARLEM: THE FANTASTICS + BOB BIRCH TRIO
Saturday, April 24, 2010

This event will be in the Club

Presenting live:
THE FANTASTICS! featuring SULENE FLEMING

Plus support from:
BOB BIRCH TRIO & DJ LUBI JOVANOVIC

This April, Spanish Harlem presents one of London’s finest Hammond organ funk combos The Fantastics, live on the basement stage with a Leeds soul sister now resident in London – vocalist Sulene Fleming!

The Fantastics’ 2009 CD ‘Mighty Righteous’ (Freestyle Records) shows the five-piece to go beyond the standard deep-funk stereotype, instead pushing the genre boundaries with Latin and afrobeat grooves alongside monster Lonnie Smith/Jack McDuff Hammond funk!

Singer, songwriter and producer Sulene Fleming was originally from Leeds but now works in London, recording, performing and collaborating with artists like the James Taylor Quartet, The New Mastersounds, Negghead (Wax:On Records) and the Haggis Horns. She was initially invited to guest with The Fantastics in Leeds as a one-off, but now the band are working on new material with her, ready to feature on their second Freestyle Records CD.

Original New Mastersounds keyboard player Bob Birch leads the support with his Hammond trio, warming up the crowd with all-firing organ-guitar-drums Jimmy Smith-style soul jazz. DJ on the night is Spanish Harlem promoter Lubi Jovanovic, mixing up the soul, funk, afrobeat, boogie, Latin, jazz-funk and classic reggae sounds!

This is another great Spanish Harlem line-up, with a few of London’s finest musicians and a talented Leeds ex-pat now making her name in the capital, plus Leeds’ original Hammond organ don!

£5 Wardrobe members, £6 NUS, £7 general admission. Advance tickets will be available shortly – watch [url="http://www.thewardrobe.co.uk/event-detail.asp?view=day&date=2010%2D04%2D24"]this site[/url] for full info.

10pm-3am.

Ah, I'm also gigging that night, but it's local so I might be able to pop down afterwards. Have a good un!

EDIT: I'm an idiot and thought that was this Saturday. In which case, I will most probably be around for this. Duhhh.

Edited by Huwberry

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Huwberry' post='786167' date='Mar 25 2010, 07:46 PM']Ah, I'm also gigging that night, but it's local so I might be able to pop down afterwards. Have a good un!

EDIT: I'm an idiot and thought that was this Saturday. In which case, I will most probably be around for this. Duhhh.[/quote]
Nice one! :)

• 3 weeks later...