Why become a member? ×

Yamaha passive 414 v 614 active

iconic

I simply love the way my BB614 active plays, super thin neck, super low action and just so nice to play but...it's simply too quiet unless I have the EQ's wound up....new battery, pups at correct height....I wondering now If I should have gone for the 414 passive afterall? It's almost as if the EQ's act as independant volume control?

If I go from Squier VMJ to the BB the volume difference is amazing....yes, one is going thru the active channel and the other thru the passive channel on my Hartke but the active RBX-374 never had this issue?

Anyone else come across this?

I'm assuming everything else is the same on the 414 bar the electronics.....neck and action etc?

...maybe I'm just had enough of active controls, my VMJ is so simple to tweak...?

You're quite right - The 614 does have one of those preamps that need a lot of boost to avoid sounding dull. All Yamaha actives are like that. In the same token, they're in good company as Status preamps need a lot of boost to sparkle too. It all depends on the boost frequencies at the end of the day. :)

i've asked Yamaha before the only difference is the electronics everything else is the same

i think maybe the 414 would have been better?

I like some actives like the RBX 714 (sadly no longer in production!) which i found plenty loud only a tad less than a P-bass but i'm pretty much a passive guy

just my words though

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='786113' date='Mar 25 2010, 05:53 PM']Sorry to hijack but, what's the difference between the 414 and the 424?

And i think my 414's electrics are definitely powerful, much stronger than my warwick rockbass corvette :)[/quote]

The 424 is a new bass being released today. It has a laminate neck and some upgraded features compared to the 414, which I guess it replaces.

I have a BB415 (414 with an extra string :rolleyes: ) and that has amazing pickups for a passive bass. It's reviewed [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78057"]here[/url] and will be up for sale very soon.

Edited by Sean

Well, not one to hang around, the 614 is going to a new home already and I bought a new Orange 414 an hour ago....can't believe the difference in volume from these passive pups they are sooooo hot.....now I have to wind the volume down from playing the VMJ!

....my 414 has a warmer sound and far easier to control tone wise than the 416 but same wonderful playing ergo's....I'm sorted for life now :)

ohh, the metallic orange is achingly beautiful too :wub:

there is an 414 X model out now...has a pickguard and only in white from what I have heard, didn't know about the 424?

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='786149' date='Mar 25 2010, 06:30 PM']Yeah the pickups on the bb414 are so powerful :rolleyes: it's a great bass.

I was planning on buying a new one, another yamaha but one of the rbx series just as a backup but, with the quality of the bb414, I think I might just upgrade it's hardware and leave it at that. Badass 2 methinks :lol:[/quote]

I can recommend the RBX-374 4 string active...cheap but certainly not nasty....great ergo's and usual yammy build, very hot dual humbuckers and with flatties onboard what a wonderful tone...I miss mine already :)