Why become a member? ×

Help on Lakland Skyline 55-76

CokeyW

Nee to Basschat and I could do with some help and guidance from you good people on what I think is a Lakland 55-76, to go with my newly acquired DJ4 with Retro preamp. Googling's not getting me far.

It looks like a Stingray 5, big humbucker, 3 control knobs and what I presume is a coil tap toggle. From the serial number I think it's an '03. Body has a maple (?) cap. Not played it yet but it's calling to me.

Anyone got one? Played one? Seen one? Heard rumours?

Any info, including value, and opinions welcome.

Colin.

Hi Colin,

lakland built these basses only for a short time so they are rare. its basically a 55-94/55-02 (skyline) but there are two differences: first is that the 55-76 only has one mm-pickup and no j-pickup in the neck-position and the second is that the pickup is sitting in a different position. whereas the 55-94 pickup is sitting closer to the bridge to deliver better j-sounds, the mm-pickup on the 55-76 is located in the "real" stingray position which means a little closer to the neck. it sounds different, more scooped (more snap and bottom, less mids) and much more like a true stingray. the 55-94 is close to the stingray sound, but there is a difference.

the quality of the usa-laklands is outstanding so if you like a stingray on steroids you will love the 55-76.