Why become a member? ×

Volume drop when tone rolled off on my Ovation Magnum

richrips

Hi,

I've been playing my Magnum 1 since November and after a bit of setting up, string testing and fiddling with amp settings am really really happy with the sound it makes. The trouble is, if i roll the tone off, the volume drops significantly. it's not just the treble being cut, there is definitely a drop in overall volume, which is a shame because the sound is really nice with the tone rolled off, it's just quiet, which means i have to readjust my amp and compressor settings in between songs and there is no way i could alter the tone mid song because of the effect on my overall volume.

As some of you will know, the magnum has two fairly odd humbuckers which each have individual tone and volume (like an original jazz bass) with twin outputs for stereo and mono (i use mono mostly). Does this problem occur with the original jazz basses with the twin stacked tone/volume pots? if not, is there a schematic so i can use the jazz bass setup in my magnum? i'm guessing the problem is to do with the tone circuit/capacitors in the magnum but if anyone can suggest other causes/solutions i'd be interested.

Any clues/tips?

Cheers,
rich