Why become a member? ×

Greetings

jc_lark

Hellooo, just thought I'd introduce myself - I'm not a musician, but I play bass guitar in a band.......

Actually, I started strumming chords along with school mates way back in 1961! Switched to bass in 1965 when our bass player suddenly left to join Edison Lighthouse about 3 weeks before our summer season in Great Yarmouth!!!!! (I told him he was mad, but then watched him on Top Of The Pops for three weeks thereafter).

I played in that band for a while (Oh, forgot to say I swapped a Guild Starfire II, I'd bought new in 1963 for 155 guineas, for a s/h '62 fiesta red Fender Precision), then sold the P-bass to a mate 4 years later for fifty quid! I think he's still got it, gathering dust (under his bed probably - ain't gonna sell it back to me though, is he?). I'd also love to own that Guild again...sigh. I've just remembered I also had a Selmer100 watt amp in thiose days....in a steel cabinet and a Selmer cabinet that stood about 5ft tall! It must have had 6 12" speakers in it, I guess.

Then I played for another 7 years, this time, newly married, mortgage and poor, so I bought a Fender Jazz look-a-like (think it was an Akai) from Hohner's for £70 in 1972 using a 100w HH amp and a home made cab which I had until recently.

Then followed a big break from playing while the kids grew up (hobbies amounted to being a taxi-driver and cheque-writer covering their activities). And then I reformed my old grammar school band for a one-off fund-raiser concert for No 1 son's school world rugby tour, was pressed into playing again at my 60th birthday party 3 years ago, and we're still going, with a few more guys added...and lovin' it. www.throw-back.com