Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot High Level Line Out

smudge

I am routing my Trace Elliot AH350x (200w at full range) signal from the High Level Line Out socket on the front of the amp into a seperate 450w bass amp return socket, thus using the power amp in that to boost the pre in my trace, the 450w amp is connected to my cab.

the thing i don't understand is i have full control of my trace, pre amp level knob works as well as the master volume as if it were stand alone, the power amp volume knob on the 450w head works increasing the volume as well. i would have expected the power section on the trace to have been by passed.

What is the best way to increase the signal for loud undistorted sound?.... use the volume on the 450w predominently, keeping the output level low on the trace, or crank the trace and keep the volume control low on the 450w head?

if i crank the trace up high on the power side and tweak the volume up on the 450w amp is there a risk of damage to either amp?

impedences are correct for the amp to speaker and the cab is rated to take the power.

[quote name='Merton' post='776174' date='Mar 16 2010, 12:47 PM']The fundamental mistake a lot of people make is that the master volume is NOT controlling the power amp output, but the pre-amp output into the power amp. Hence it will still work in your set up :)[/quote]

Thought you may reply Merton... thanks.

So basically, i am doing things right, the max that the whole lot will put out is 450w regardless of how high the Green "Output Level" is on the Trace, i'm not going to damage the power section on the 450w head.... it just seems i am getting a v loud smooth clean sound for not a lot of turn on the 450w amp main volume knob.

I appreciate your help on this...... Thanks :rolleyes:

[quote name='smudge' post='776236' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:29 PM']Thought you may reply Merton... thanks.

So basically, i am doing things right, the max that the whole lot will put out is 450w regardless of how high the Green "Output Level" is on the Trace, i'm not going to damage the power section on the 450w head.... it just seems i am getting a v loud smooth clean sound for not a lot of turn on the 450w amp main volume knob.

I appreciate your help on this...... Thanks :)[/quote]
I'd turn the power amp up full and use the master volume on the Trace as your volume control :rolleyes: