Why become a member? ×

Fretless EB 0 Project

Pookus

Hello fellow bass people. I have successfully completed my EB (fretted) project by using a humble Epi EB0 as a donor - modifying the neck pocket to give the bass a set neck type feel, Schaller machine heads, modified Hipshot bridge and a whopping great Dimarzio model 1 humbucker. I love this bass, it sounds and feels great and has drawn very favourable comments from some seriously senior jazzers who are used to playing with bassists with trees in the £10,000 bracket!

I am now contemplating the same mods on another Epi EB0 but this time a fretless version, with some kind of mute to give the thump and short sustain of a double bass. I was considering two options. One was to simply defret the neck, fill and recoat with some bulletproof varnishy stuff -(like Jaco did to his bass). Or - two replace the fingerboard with an ebony job.

Does anyone have any bits I could buy? Or point me in the direction of a luthier who could do the fingerboard?

Ok now bass has been sourced and someone (here) is going to defret and epoxy the neck for me. Very cool!
I am still in need of the following bits:
Hipshot Supertone Bridge, Dimarzio Model One Pickup, Schaller 2x2 Machine Heads.
If anyone has any of these bits please let me know. Cheers, Jamie