Why become a member? ×

Doing a new demo. DIY time.

dave_bass5

My band, have decided we will be recording our next demo on the cheap.

The plan is to go in to a rehearsal room, mic the kit up (we have some condensers and SM58's) and record it via our desk in to a my Edirol R-09HR digital recorder as a 24bit stereo wav file, already mixed down.

Then using Sonar 8 we will add bass and guitars via plugins/guitar rig etc and then add vocals.

The whole point of doing this is that other than the rehearsal room it wont cost us anything, so nothing lost if it doesn't work out. If we find we have to hire stuff in then we will just go in to a recording studio and do the whole thing there.

We aren't in a great rush to do this so we can spend time getting the other bits right, once the drums are down.

I know having the drums set in stone is not ideal but its the only way we can do it and im sure with some creative mixing it will sound ok.
I know its not ideal and its not the way it "should" be done but i cant see why the end result shouldn't be usable.....But i bet someone can so lets hear it.

Cheers.

Edited by dave_bass5

To be honest, As long as you take your time getting levels etc right there is no reason why this shouldnt turn out as good as an average studio would make you sound (I'm talking £100 a day affairs).

My only advice would be spend a while finding mic sweet spots - And making sure your drummer stays in time without the band! Maybe play the bass into some headphones for him or something? maybe a click track?

[quote name='MythSte' post='769228' date='Mar 9 2010, 01:49 PM']And making sure your drummer stays in time without the band![/quote]

Cheers.

Yes, we are only really expecting a budget type of recording, we dont have any special mic's etc.

You had to go and spoil it didn't you. He cant even stay in time WITH the band lol.

I think we will use some sort of click track but will also have the vocals and some basic guitar and bass going in to his headphones.