Why become a member? ×

Removed

Stacker

This bass, along with the Jap Bound neck Jazz and a Squier VMJ fretless, is now back on board with the resurfacing of the instrument I was sniffing around. Please note there was no intended prevarication on my part, just nerves and a lack of concrete information from the other party.

[size=4]1973 Rick 4001 FG[/size]
Wavy Grover keys
Non-full-width inlays
Cheq binding
Toaster front pup
Rear pup has [i]adjustable[/i] pole-pieces
Original black RIC case
Bit of buckle-rash and a few scratches, given its age
4mm tail-lift
All original bar one pickguard screw

No neck issues whatsoever. Been strung with Warwick Reds .040-.095 for the last three years

Offers in the region of £2k invited. Would prefer local pickup or arrange your own courier. Overseas interest welcome.

Please see the other bass I have up. Any Qs, fire away.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='cocco' post='769138' date='Mar 9 2010, 12:55 PM']Absolute stunner! What's the difference between the toaster and the pup on the modern ric?[/quote]
The 'modern' one, post '73, is a hi-gain. Still a single coil but the toaster is not as hot and a bit warmer. For me, it is the essence of the 4001 sound.

Toaster has lower output and bags more "Traditional Ric" character.
The mismatch between Rick neck and bridge pickups is the key to the sound, the neck pickups are wooly, the bridge pickups are like razorblades. As the years progressed, the sonic gap between the 2 was narrowed, firstly by the original Horseshoes being discontinued in favour of a conventional bobbin and magnet pickup with screw-in polepieces, then later, the ubiquitous "Hi Gain" pickups with the rubbery polepieces. The neck "Toasters" were upgraded to "Hi Gain" around 1973, and they now balanced the bridge pickups a lot better, but at the expense of the original Ric sound, which many people (including Rickenbacker themselves) were keen to improve upon at the time.
Toasters are very cool looking pickups, and they give the Squire/McCartney tones their wooly bottom end in bags, but for most other applications, you might be better off with a Hi-Gain in the neck. The best way to "upgrade" any Ric bass to make it sound right* is by finding a proper Horseshoe bridge pickup, and these are rare as rocking horse poo, so are the reissues. Reissue Horseshoes go between 400 and 1000, but 1960s originals you can count on writing a blank cheque and hope the American hoarders/archivists haven't got there first. Thats why the V63 series go for such bonkers money now, they were an all-in-one proper reissue as close as Rickenbacker could get it without going overboard. It will be a cold day in hell (or a 60s Ric, and even then it would have to be a corker) before I part with my V63.

* like a lovely clanky 60s Rick a'la Squire, Glover, Rutherford.

Edited by robocorpse

So if I want a 'hot' ric this isn't the way to go and I'm better off with a later 4001 or even a 4003? but I still want some sort of good investment ric but one I'm not gonna be scared to gig. What should I be looking for? Also what is the difference between a 4001 and a 4003? Sorry I've hijacked your thread by the way

[quote name='cocco' post='769215' date='Mar 9 2010, 01:42 PM']So if I want a 'hot' ric this isn't the way to go and I'm better off with a later 4001 or even a 4003? but I still want some sort of good investment ric but one I'm not gonna be scared to gig. What should I be looking for? Also what is the difference between a 4001 and a 4003? Sorry I've hijacked your thread by the way[/quote]

I'd say find the money and buy this one (Stackers bass).
Whatever Ric you buy, its always gonna be an "investment", even unloved early 4003s are starting to pick up in price now, and this FG will probably blow all of them out of the water in most respects, and it will continue to appreciate. Whatever Ric you gig with will always get the odd dink, so why not buy one thats nicely worn in, and sounds like a Ric SHOULD, rather than compromising your lust for a nice 70s one by buying a later, plain bound, Hi-Gained 80s/90s hot Rick? Unless you desperately want Hi-Gains?
Seriously, whats the difference between gigging a well used £2000 bass, and a slightly cleaner £1500 bass? Once you are up in that sort of price range, I'd only worry if the bass was a minter, or a really rare colour/variant. They are meant to be played after all! I have my giggers and my home/recording basses, they all get played, but I would never gig the V63 unless it was a crucial gig that absolutely needed it, and even then it would be a kid gloves job, and I would be devastated if it got dinked. However, I can throw my 4001S round with impunity, as the previous owner already did a good job of wearing it in and chipping the edges.

[quote name='Stacker' post='768975' date='Mar 9 2010, 10:32 AM']This bass, along with the Jap Bound neck Jazz and a Squier VMJ fretless, is now back on board with the resurfacing of the instrument I was sniffing around. Please note there was no intended prevarication on my part, just nerves and a lack of concrete information from the other party.

[size=4]1973 Rick 4001 FG[/size]
Wavy Grover keys
Non-full-width inlays
Cheq binding
Toaster front pup
Rear pup has [i]adjustable[/i] pole-pieces
Original black RIC case
Bit of buckle-rash and a few scratches, given its age
Minimal tail-lift

No neck issues whatsoever. Been strung with Warwick Reds .040-.095 for the last three years

Offers in the region of £2k invited. Would prefer local pickup or arrange your own courier. Overseas bidders welcome.

Please see the other bass I have up. Any Qs, fire away.[/quote]

PM'd you

[quote name='robocorpse' post='769344' date='Mar 9 2010, 03:53 PM']I'd say find the money and buy this one (Stackers bass).
Whatever Ric you buy, its always gonna be an "investment", even unloved early 4003s are starting to pick up in price now, and this FG will probably blow all of them out of the water in most respects, and it will continue to appreciate. Whatever Ric you gig with will always get the odd dink, so why not buy one thats nicely worn in, and sounds like a Ric SHOULD, rather than compromising your lust for a nice 70s one by buying a later, plain bound, Hi-Gained 80s/90s hot Rick? Unless you desperately want Hi-Gains?
Seriously, whats the difference between gigging a well used £2000 bass, and a slightly cleaner £1500 bass? Once you are up in that sort of price range, I'd only worry if the bass was a minter, or a really rare colour/variant. They are meant to be played after all! I have my giggers and my home/recording basses, they all get played, but I would never gig the V63 unless it was a crucial gig that absolutely needed it, and even then it would be a kid gloves job, and I would be devastated if it got dinked. However, I can throw my 4001S round with impunity, as the previous owner already did a good job of wearing it in and chipping the edges.[/quote]

That's a very good arguement, Robo. The old CV finishes on Ricks were always gonna pick up cracks and dings so it's very rare to see a mint 4001 or RM1999. That's the reason I sold the CS: I was sh*t scared of getting it trashed and I don't even gig anymore. This '73 has plenty mojo but it's no way as powerful as a V63 or CS. You gotta decide what you want from a Rick.

That's a fair point. I would really love to own this bass. But if I'm spending that kind of money I'm gonna wanna play it first and it's the best part of a day away. I've never played a ric as early as this. Not that I've ever disliked one either but it's big money. But f*** me this is nice :)

Ok, the purchase of the instrument I was after is about to go through. As such, and against my better judgement, I am now going to float this bass on ebay with the assistance of a third party in an attempt to garner more interest, particularly from abroad. The bass is, obviously, still available here, also.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' post='770468' date='Mar 10 2010, 02:47 PM']If you have one, you'd know exactly what I was [i]trying[/i] to say............[/quote]

I know. Sorry, wasn't being rude - just thought it was a great quote! :)

Well, that's one buyer now out of the running, due to insisting to pay via PayPal. Any other interested parties please note: I can't accept PayPal for various reasons. I will accept bank draft, bank transfer, cheque and good, hard cash!

The bass is going on ebay later on today and I'm sure I'll have the PayPalites shut the auction down! :wacko:

I've taken some more pix so anyone interested please provide their email address.

Any final takers/ OVNOs before I open this to the horde?

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='SS73' post='773144' date='Mar 12 2010, 08:33 PM']Donny
just noticed the listing, but it doesn't come up if you search Rickenbacker 4001 so you may be missing punters, perhaps put a space between 4001 and FG, cheers, Sean.[/quote]

Really? How odd! Thx for the heads-up, Sean! :)