Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Played an upright on the weekend

implo

Never played on a proper upright until the weekend, and while a fretless electric has its own difficulties for me, the upright was a total head-f**k. I'd kind of assumed that things would be roughly in the same place, but not even remotely... So gentlemen, if you're one of those bassists who hop happily from electric to double you can start the week with a spoonful of awe from me. Be proud!

Sounded wonderful though... Beautiful creature.

That is all. :)

Yep, different animal altogether! Many people don't realise just how physical the DB really is... and your naivety about just how different a DB is to a fretless reflects just how ill informed many players are when it comes to 'jumping in' and buying an EUB for example! At least you didn't do yourself an injury :)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='767565' date='Mar 8 2010, 09:41 AM']Yep, different animal altogether! Many people don't realise just how physical the DB really is... and your naivety about just how different a DB is to a fretless reflects just how ill informed many players are when it comes to 'jumping in' and buying an EUB for example! At least you didn't do yourself an injury :)[/quote]

Definitely a humbling experience. I'm not a bad bassist, but have a peculiar technique which really didn't translate. I've been close to buying an upright before, but this has definitely put a stop to that. Alot of money for something that would stand in the corner of a room looking pretty.

[quote name='implo' post='767576' date='Mar 8 2010, 08:50 AM']Definitely a humbling experience. I'm not a bad bassist, but have a peculiar technique which really didn't translate. I've been close to buying an upright before, but this has definitely put a stop to that. Alot of money for something that would stand in the corner of a room looking pretty.[/quote]
I've always played fretless rather than fretted electric, and as soon as I got hold of a double I knew I was heading in the right direction! My only regret with DB is that I didn't get into it sooner! :)
Not that I'm considering giving up the fretless, mind you.
Thanks for the 'spoonful of awe', Implo, but maybe give it another try later; sometimes you have to pick just the right time in your life. If you're into the sound and you play bass anyway, at least now you know it's quite a different beast!

[quote name='hubrad' post='767585' date='Mar 8 2010, 09:59 AM']maybe give it another try later; sometimes you have to pick just the right time in your life.[/quote]

Damn you, sir! I'd put that idea to sleep, but you've just woken it up again now. :)

It was only a cheapy but undeniably lovely all the same. I'm just an absolute tart for that glorious woody sound, possibly due to an inexorable shift towards more acoustic music.

*sigh*

Basschat is just one long shopping list.

[quote name='implo' post='767597' date='Mar 8 2010, 09:08 AM']Damn you, sir! I'd put that idea to sleep, but you've just woken it up again now. :lol:

It was only a cheapy but undeniably lovely all the same. I'm just an absolute tart for that glorious woody sound, possibly due to an inexorable shift towards more acoustic music.

*sigh*

Basschat is just one long shopping list.[/quote]
DEFFO give it another try! :) :rolleyes:
DB does have a reputation for hurting the unwary.. get a teacher at least to start with, as this can help you 1)avoid some painful mistakes, and 2)get a good tone from the start.
I think you're on the wrong website if you're looking for someone to put you off.. good luck!