Why become a member? ×

crackling sound on p-bass

GazWills

hi - hoping someone has some pearls of wisdom here, slightly odd problem with my bass!

I have a JV series squier p-bass, so it's about 27 years old. I think the pots etc are all original (pretty sure), whilst i have a badass II bridge on it, and a seymour duncan vintage pickup (both added around 3 years ago).

very recently, i've started hearing a strange crackling noise when plugged into my amp, which is hard to describe, but seems to be 'static-ey', if that makes sense! it is not a permanent noise, but comes and goes. also, it only seems to happen when i am resting my palm on the strings exactly above the pickup. when i then strum/pick a string, this sort of crackling noise happens, but only as i make ontact with the strings.

I have had the pots all cleaned out very recently at a luthiers in bristol.

this has only just started happening, so seems to me like something has suddenly broken or worn out, and i think it may be related to the pickup, but that's just a hunch!

any thoughts or suggestions welcome!
gaz

dodge solder joint opening with the vibration? Get it with other amps/leads?

If you attach a jack socket to some crocodile clips, you can have a very handy testing device, clip it to the leads direct from the pickup to bypass the electrics, can find out stuff with that.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='767068' date='Mar 7 2010, 05:25 PM'][b]If you attach a jack socket to some crocodile clips, you can have a very handy testing device, clip it to the leads direct from the pickup to bypass the electrics, can find out stuff with that.[/b][/quote]

thats a pretty cool idea...i agree connecting straight to the jack for most checking...but this is better