Why become a member? ×

Stingray - 3eq to 2eq conversion

implo

Hello,
Apologies if this is an oft' discussed topic, but I couldn't find anything specific via search.

Ok, so finally bought a 2008 Stingray 3 EQ and it's currently on its merry little way over. However, I already know it's not going to sound exactly like I want it to, given I'm after that Joe Lally 2EQ sound.

I have three basic issues really.
1) Are there any 'Ray owners who have tried converting a 3 EQ model to a 2? I've heard John East's BTB MMSR Preamp captures the pre-EB sound. Has anyone tried this set-up with any success?

2) The 'disappearing G string' trick. Can this be solved just by shifting out the pick up, or does it require a pup+pre-amp swap? Given I'm after a specific tone, would you recommend a Bartolini, Nordstrand or a Seymour? I've heard the Nordstrand is the most faithful reproduction of the early MM pups, but the web is awash with contradictions.

3) I'm ok with a soldering iron, but have never poked about inside a bass. Is all this talk of shifting things out just idiocy? Any modifications have to be done at home, given the extortionate prices here.

Thanks again for the invaluable advice! I really hope yet another Stingray thread doesn't make people want to kill themselves. :-/

The first thing you want to try is some good fresh strings, a setup to your preference & then move the pickup so that the D & A strings are about 3-4mm off the pickup poles. This gives the 3eq much more bang for your buck without swapping pickups, etc.

Of the replacement pickups I've tried, I loved the sound of the Nordstrand unit, but mine sounds just great as it is on the original now I've changed the pickup height. And there's no loss of volume on the G, either.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='757278' date='Feb 25 2010, 04:49 PM']move the pickup so that the D & A strings are about 3-4mm off the pickup poles[/quote]
With the string pressed down at the last fret, or just sitting open? I'm pretty sure if I had the poles 3-4mm from the open string, I'd choke out on the pickup when I got up the dusty end!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='757278' date='Feb 25 2010, 05:49 PM']The first thing you want to try is some good fresh strings, a setup to your preference & then move the pickup so that the D & A strings are about 3-4mm off the pickup poles. This gives the 3eq much more bang for your buck without swapping pickups, etc.

Of the replacement pickups I've tried, I loved the sound of the Nordstrand unit, but mine sounds just great as it is on the original now I've changed the pickup height. And there's no loss of volume on the G, either.[/quote]

Excellent, I'll give that a shot.

Thanks very much.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='757285' date='Feb 25 2010, 04:53 PM']With the string pressed down at the last fret, or just sitting open? I'm pretty sure if I had the poles 3-4mm from the open string, I'd choke out on the pickup when I got up the dusty end![/quote]

normally setting string heights is with the last fret fretted... :)