Why become a member? ×

ibanez gsr190

blackjack

im sure a few of you have seen me waffle on here so far as a newbie. i am now looking for a solid bodied bass. i have see a ibanez gsr 190 bass starter pack advertised for£237 pound including the bass guitar you get a 15 watt practice amp, strap, tuner and a few other accessories. are these starter packs worth paying for as they are aimed at the beginner. or should i stay well clear, i must admit it seems too good a bargain to miss, or maybe i am just naive.

Ibanez is deffinitely a good bass for a start and I can recommend them with no problems as I had quite a few and my first ever bass was Ibanez! Your price is a bit steep tbh, look here [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-gsr-bass/66291"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-gsr-bass/66291[/url] and you can have it for a lot less! GAK are on this forum and they can probably do you a deal as well so drop any of the guys a line!

[quote name='blackjack' post='755528' date='Feb 23 2010, 09:23 PM']im sure a few of you have seen me waffle on here so far as a newbie. i am now looking for a solid bodied bass. i have see a ibanez gsr 190 bass starter pack advertised for£237 pound including the bass guitar you get a 15 watt practice amp, strap, tuner and a few other accessories. are these starter packs worth paying for as they are aimed at the beginner. or should i stay well clear, i must admit it seems too good a bargain to miss, or maybe i am just naive.[/quote]

I have an Ibanez GSR 180, which is the same model as that which comes with the starter pack I think. I paid £130 for the 180, and there are a few practice amps on this site for sale for not much cash. Alternatively you can certainly get a decent combo and still save money. You can do a lot better than the £237! The GSR is a pretty good starting point. Its worth looking at the set up tho. there was a fantastic article in Januarys BGM which I followed for the first time, and its great now!
Neck is great, I like it. A bit wider than a P or J but pretty good nonetheless! It has a decent tone and the sustain aint bad for the money. There's plenty of playing left in this bass before I start thinking of upgrading.
Strap from Reverb £5
Cable £10
Tuner £15

This is the way I chose to go. It gave me a lot more choice.
I hope this helps
cheers
Matt

Edited by Bass-ic