Why become a member? ×

Galien-Krueger MB115 lightweight Combo - Opinions??

SteveF72

Hi,
I'm new to this webside, having returned to Bass after 18 years(!) absence. Am presently playing a Vintage Fender Precision through a run-of-the mill 80W Combo at home for practising, but already thinking about aquiring a stage amp for pub gigs playing as part of a rock trio. I used to employ a 4x12 Cab and 150W Carlsboro head (not valve type) for this very purpose but hated transporting this set-up at the time. I notice that things have moved on in my exile and a new generation of smaller, lightweight equipment is now available such as the Galien-Krueger MB115 lightweight Combo, which weighs in at 33lbs but has an impressive output of 200W (weblink attached). Am obviously going to try this out for sound, but I would really value opinions on this one, is it as good as traditional technology or are there downsides to it??
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Steve

[color="#0000FF"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-MB115-Combo~ID~13155.asp[/color]

Tried this for playing jazz on my Wal and, frankly, it just doesn't deliver the bottom end. It can compete volume wise with a drummer but it is really atruggling and just doesn't sound warm enough (I have an SWR Electric Blue head and two of the GK micro bass cabs but I never use them now because I just don't like the sound. Great practice amp but gigs? Not for me. To be fair, its the speaker cabs not the amp.

Not tried it with double bass yet, though, but have never heard anyone else sound good through one so would not expect it to deliver there either :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='755444' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:33 PM']Tried this for playing jazz on my Wal and, frankly, it just doesn't deliver the bottom end. It can compete volume wise with a drummer but it is really atruggling and just doesn't sound warm enough (I have an SWR Electric Blue head and two of the GK micro bass cabs but I never use them now because I just don't like the sound. Great practice amp but gigs? Not for me. To be fair, its the speaker cabs not the amp.

Not tried it with double bass yet, though, but have never heard anyone else sound good through one so would not expect it to deliver there either :)[/quote]

Thanks Bilbo, a good friend of mine has played guitar for many years now and was dismissive of all lightweight gear especially for bass, arguing that the best sound is always achieved through traditional equipment.
Selecting the right stage amp / cab is a difficult task when not fore-armed, might sound ok at low volumes in the local guitar shop but completely different on stage when it really matters, so I appreciate your comments.
Regards
Steve