Why become a member? ×

**FS/FT: Laney RB4 Richter combo (160 watts)**

erisu

Bought this amp last month from Peter cook's in Hanwell, West London, played it in the shop and sounded great with tight lows and sounded very warm. Went ahead and purchased it but upon taking it home, I couldn't find the right sound. Probably due to the surroundings in my room like floorboards and the open space I have while compared to the shops carpet, tight space and stacks of equipment everywhere.

Amp is as new, comes with original box, packaging, manual, power cord and even the receipt so it's still under the 12 month warranty. Suitable for home practice and small gigs but you do have the option to DI it or hook it to a cab. if you require more power for larger gigs.

Bought it for £195 (last one left in shop so on special price) so will sell for £120 :) [b](these amps retail for £236+ elsewhere)[/b] or willing to accept trade on another amp and I don't mind throwing some money in too!

Collection from West London preferred (Ealing/Acton area) or can post but you need to arrange your own courier as the amp is extremely heavy!

Full specs. of amp is here:

[url="http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=rb4"]http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=rb4[/url]

Edited by erisu

[quote name='erisu' post='744366' date='Feb 13 2010, 10:37 PM']The low end punch was lacking and it's just too trebly for me despite taking a few hours to EQ the amp with different settings. I just can't find the sound I want even though there's versatile EQ knobs and sliders.[/quote]

I bought a Laney R3 combo off eBay while my Trace Elliot BLX-80 was in for repair (my own fault) and, at the first gig, found exactly the same thing. Daren't turn the hf driver on for fear of breaking glasses on the surrounding tables and lacking in any real low end without sounding wooly. Not a patch on the BLX-80. I only paid £100 for is so I'm hanging onto it as an emergency back-up

[quote name='bassman2790' post='759129' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:23 PM']I bought a Laney R3 combo off eBay while my Trace Elliot BLX-80 was in for repair (my own fault) and, at the first gig, found exactly the same thing. Daren't turn the hf driver on for fear of breaking glasses on the surrounding tables and lacking in any real low end without sounding wooly. Not a patch on the BLX-80. I only paid £100 for is so I'm hanging onto it as an emergency back-up[/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one not liking this amp. It's getting more on my nerves now and I'm starting to play very little on it as well. Instead I prefer to use the line 6 gearbox bass sounds on there even though I have to wear headphones to hear =/

Edited by erisu

I have to say these amps are fantastic for the price...I owned one for 2 years (bought from new, sold on fleabay) and loved every minute of it. It really could pump out that vintage bass tone with my US Jazz - must be that 15" cone in there.

I now rock a markbass/aguilar rig which is fantastic but sometimes I do miss that lovely rich 15" sound from the RB4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...