Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tommy Cogbill

Mykesbass

Having just listened to David Hood on Stevie's post, and rated Son of A Preacher Man in the "basslines that surprise you" thread, I thought this guy needs more exposure on here - OK he made it on an Unsung Players list last year but IMHO this guy should be up there with Mr Jamerson!

[url="http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:fvfixqr5ldke~T4"]http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...fvfixqr5ldke~T4[/url]

And yes, confession time, until 10 minutes ago, having loved so much of his work, I'd never heard of the guy!

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='742485' date='Feb 11 2010, 08:12 PM']Having just listened to David Hood on Stevie's post, and rated Son of A Preacher Man in the "[b]basslines that surprise you[/b]" thread, I thought this guy needs more exposure on here -[/quote]

Oh, Where's that? I can't find it...
love the bassline on Son of a Preacher man :)

Tommy Cogbill also did the original recorded version of "Memphis Soul Stew" by King Curtis (for years I thought it was Jerry Jemmott), as well as the bass part on Wilson Pickett's "Funky Broadway" (as mentioned & played by Jaco on "Modern Electric Bass"). In the pics I've seen of him with a bass in his hands, it was a Sunburst Fender P.

I remember reading an article on him in an old copy of "Bass Player" mag (when it was still good) saying that he was a pretty good guitar player as well!

Cheers,
iamthewalrus