Why become a member? ×

Replaced scratchplate -

lanark

Yeah ... it's only a trivial thing, but I had my guitar setup and a cracked scratchplate replaced and the clear protective film has been left on.

After almost 6 months it's coming away at the edges, but because it's a P Bass I'll have to take off the strings and the pots to remove it - and even then I'm concerned that the corners will still be there under the screws. Eventually it's probably going to annoy me enough to remove it - but why didn't the lutier remove it when he put it on?

As I say, it's a little thing .... but little things are sent to try us. :)

The plastic film is there to protect the plate while the instrument is being assembled - no one would like to have their new guitar arrive with the plate all scratched.

The luthier probably kept it on for the same reason and just assumed you'd remove it when you got it back.

You don't have to remove the strings to get it off - it'll fit underneath. The pots can be a bit of a pain, but if you remove the knobs and tear carefully around the pots it should be ok. For the screws, just unscrew them a little and pull out the plastic.