Why become a member? ×

brief burst of noise on VT-1, wassat?

fatback

Hi,

I get a burst of hissy, crackly noise on my VT-1 about two minutes after powering it up. If I give the level pot a turn, it stops. What ould be causing the noise? Is the valve about to fail?

Being new to the delights of valves, I dunno what the symptoms of failure would be. Do they stop workijng completely? Can the power stage fail and not the first stage?

Thanks for any info,

fatback

[quote name='fatback' post='734897' date='Feb 4 2010, 11:36 AM']Hi,

I get a burst of hissy, crackly noise on my VT-1 about two minutes after powering it up. If I give the level pot a turn, it stops. What ould be causing the noise? Is the valve about to fail?

Being new to the delights of valves, I dunno what the symptoms of failure would be. Do they stop workijng completely? Can the power stage fail and not the first stage?

Thanks for any info,

fatback[/quote]

Not the valve, more likely a power supply issue or a damaged pot. VT1's have two pre-amp stages there is no power amp stage. No valve pedals have power stages, just pre-amps.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='737028' date='Feb 6 2010, 11:29 AM']Not the valve, more likely a power supply issue or a damaged pot. VT1's have two pre-amp stages there is no power amp stage. No valve pedals have power stages, just pre-amps.

Dave[/quote]

Thanks, Dave. Maybe just a dirty pot.

Sorry for the total ignorance about valves. I get plenty compliments on the sound of your box tho :)