Why become a member? ×

A folding double bass that works!

Steve A

I received an email from Charlie Chadwick, the inventor of the folding bass he markets and he suggested that if anyone was interested in purchasing such a bass it might be possible for someone to meet him at one of the gigs on the tour and try and maybe buy his bass at the end of the tour, the idea being it would save shipping costs on a new bass ordered from the US.

What a nice chap.

He's going to look into it from a customs point of view.

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='763972' date='Mar 4 2010, 02:23 PM']He's going to look into it from a customs point of view.[/quote]

AFIK if he sold in the UK it would be subject to VAT and import duty, about another 20% say. I'm not aware of any other issue.

[quote name='Greydad' post='764201' date='Mar 4 2010, 05:31 PM']AFIK if he sold in the UK it would be subject to VAT and import duty, about another 20% say. I'm not aware of any other issue.[/quote]
If you purchased his bass, it's a used item so I wouldn't think there would be any VAT or duty to pay. Could be wrong though.

[quote name='TPJ' post='764237' date='Mar 4 2010, 06:01 PM']If you purchased his bass, it's a used item so I wouldn't think there would be any VAT or duty to pay. Could be wrong though.[/quote]

Yes it's a used item but one on which no UK VAT or import duty has been paid so it is subject to those taxes at the first point of sale coming into this country. I'm not a tax expert but this is my personal understanding having lived overseas and had to sort this sort of thing out a few times. At least with it being used you could negotiate off the vat and import duty so you pay the US equivalent price.

It would affect what he put on his customs declaration forms when he comes into the country too.

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='764325' date='Mar 4 2010, 07:09 PM']I suppose the best it could mean is that a potential buyer could save a large shipping bill.[/quote]

Shipping a double bass from the US to the UK cost in the order of $900 when I checked recently so yes it's a big saving.