Why become a member? ×

Pick ups

smileegee

I have the EMG J Set on my Squier Affinity Jazz. I have also fitted a high mass bridge as well, a bit like the bridge on the new Fenders. The bridge didn't really make a huge difference, but the pickups transformed it. The stock pickups sounded OK, but the EMG's sound awesome. I have found that finger style, near the neck I can get really warm, and rich bass sounds, but if I really dig in with a pick, near the bridge, I can get a really good rock/metal growl from it. The J set I bought had connectors at the pickups, but required soldering at the pots. The kit does come with new pots and jack socket, all pre assembled, and much higher quality than the stock components. I had the kit fitted in about half an hour.

I would do the pickups first, and worry about the bridge later :)

[quote name='retroman' post='733511' date='Feb 2 2010, 09:39 PM']I have the EMG J Set on my Squier Affinity Jazz. I have also fitted a high mass bridge as well, a bit like the bridge on the new Fenders. The bridge didn't really make a huge difference, but the pickups transformed it. The stock pickups sounded OK, but the EMG's sound awesome. I have found that finger style, near the neck I can get really warm, and rich bass sounds, but if I really dig in with a pick, near the bridge, I can get a really good rock/metal growl from it. The J set I bought had connectors at the pickups, but required soldering at the pots. The kit does come with new pots and jack socket, all pre assembled, and much higher quality than the stock components. I had the kit fitted in about half an hour.

I would do the pickups first, and worry about the bridge later :)[/quote]

Thanks alot I think I'll do that. by the way the best price I can get them for?

Gee

[quote name='smileegee' post='733879' date='Feb 3 2010, 11:16 AM']Thanks alot I think I'll do that. by the way the best price I can get them for?

Gee[/quote]
I think I paid around £80 for mine.

Good point about adjusting the pickups, but I think "you gets what ya pays for" applies here. Budget basses can be well built, but will always have inferior electronics, etc, to keep the price down. IMHO, buying one of the current Squier basses, and loading it with top notch pickups, is actually quite a smart move :)

[quote name='smileegee' post='733205' date='Feb 2 2010, 05:31 PM']I looking to put some EMG J set on my Mexican fender Jazz % string plus a bad ass 5 bridge.

As anyone done this?
How was after the changes?

Thanks Gee.[/quote]

I too have a Mexi Jazz (only 4 string), upon which I've just installed a set of EMGs plus a Badass II bridge. In my opinion the EMGs made it a great recording bass and it sounds fab through my small Line 6 combo (not stuck it through my Peavey gig rig yet). To me the sound is "slightly different" rather than "better", although it still sounds like a Jazz, and I definitely perceive an increase in sustain thanx to the Badass. I don't personally think you can go wrong with the modifications - you can always restore it if the result doesn't do it for you. I'd do it.

Mal