Why become a member? ×

Any ART Tube MP Studio V3 users here?

KrispyDK

Hello there,

I went and got myself an ART Tube MP Studio V3 preamp fairly cheap off the net and am wondering if I got a dud?

My problem is the noise it makes. I've read a lot of reviews and obviously noise came up a lot. I wasn't expecting anything like top or even mid range quality from a cheap unit like this but I was hoping it would be usable!

Here's my experience with it:

I am plugging the unit into a small 25w peavey guitar amp without anything plugged into the V3's input.

If I set both the input and output levels midway (12 o'clock) without its +20db button pressed in there is a small amount of hiss present with an occasional rustling noise creeping in.

If I then switch the +20db pad on, the hiss becomes extreme. In fact, with +20db turned on, you cannot raise the output level above the first indicator without the unit becoming unusable due to it's hiss.

Is this normal for the Studio V3? Have I got a dud? Is the valve dead (it doesn't seem to glow at all and I'm not sure whether I should expect it to?)?

If anyone here owns one and will admit to it(!) I'd love to hear whether this is normal behaviour or if i need to return it.

Thanks in advance...

Heya mate as a matter of fact i do have one. i havent used it for a while.

I never had problems with mine used it for all sorts of stuff as its designed for.

I had read some stuff on the net about a noisy amp in it and something about loosening a certain screw to help with this????? give google a go on that one.

Main trick is:

ignore th output knob, set the input until your average playing reaches just under the red peak indicator

then set the output to near enough zero once youve let plenty of clean signal in. this will leave less work for the amplifier stage of it to do meaning less hiss.

!

let us know how you get on. I found mine sounded great on "keyboard" setting for bass

Have fun

Jack