Why become a member? ×

Is this one of the decent squier's?

[quote name='ZPQ' post='78487' date='Oct 23 2007, 07:17 PM']I think he means JV not DV, but it's actually an early 90's Silver series made in Korea not Japan (the Japanese bit is important)

The really sought after models are from the early to mid eighties and have serial number beginning with JV then almost as good, SQ, then the E series which brought them inline with Fenders lettter per year policy.

Might be a nice bass but not particularly special - just a Korean Squier from the 90's.

Cheers
John[/quote]

That's not a Silver Series - they all have the legend 'Silver Series' written on the ball of the headstock. People just seem to assume a silver series Squier refers to colour of the Fender logo. The Silver Series was built in Japan, and was a slightly upmarket Squier compared to the Korean built stuff that was earning Squier quite a bad reputation.

The serial number of this one puts it at 94-95. But yeah, just a Korean Standard from the 90's.

I'd avoid that one- I had the same era bass in black- 1991 Squier P, plywood body, really thick gloss finish on the neck, exact same headstock logos, and it was awful-
frets wore out very quickly, deadspots all over the neck- terrible sustain, really frustrated me as I couldn't get any kind of decent slap tone, or any kind of bite out of it.

it was my first bass so i didn't know any better at the time.

I came across another like it at a studio and it was just as bad.

actually, I think you can see the lines of the ply body in the pic of it from the bridge.
also the cracks at the neck pocket don't surprise me if it's a ply body.

contrary to what the guy says, I'd say that the late 90's to current Squiers are far better than the early 90's ones.

Edited by SJA

to be honest one of those £79 Legacy p-basses from Sound control would be better.
at least you get a solid wood body and a decent maple neck.

I still bear the mental scars of owning a '91 korean squier. ugh.
the maple they used for the neck was really bad- sapping up all the energy from every note you played.

in the pic of the headstock you can see it's a separate piece glued on where the Squier logo is.