Why become a member? ×

Recording the Bass

Spoombung

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='701007' date='Jan 4 2010, 09:35 PM']Sorry for the delay:-

Basic procedure is as follows (many variations)...

[indent]Step 1: Connect your bass to a channel input of your recording equipment using D.I. with no effects (usually called 'clean' or 'dry' signal). Play the bass line as required for the song and record it. You now have a recording of the exact sound the bass is making.

Step 2: Connect the output of the recorded channel from the recording device to the input jack of your chosen bass amplifier. Connect the output of the amplifier to an unused channel (or channels) of the recording equipment. When you play back the recording the bass amplifier treats it as if it were you playing the bass live. If you decide you like the sound you simply rewind the recorder and record the sound onto the new channel. If not, change the amplifier settings and go again. If you still don't like it you can change the amplifier and repeat the process as often as you like.[/indent]

As I said above, this is a basic description. Part of the skill of a recording engineer is to use it creatively to obtain the required sound. There are some very good examples in some of the posts above.

I'm afraid that's as simple as I can put it. Hopefully it makes sense.[/quote]

Ah, make sense. Thanks, leftybassman....

I've recently recorded with my band in a nice studio here with a very good sound-engineer. He opted for D.I. plus later reamping and tone shaping (I also use effects: overdrives and a chorus), and the mixdown results are brilliant. In fact, he made me and the drummer record each song about 8 times in the same room, while the bass signal was being sent to the desk - no bass sound was captured by the drum mics, of course! Well, since I was also stomping on pedals, I recorded a reference FXed track as well, so that he knew where the chorus, od or fuzz was, but AFAIK he didn't use it in the mixdown, there was a sort of hiss coming from one of my pedals as well... nothing relevant in a live set, but that wasn't a live set :) Later, I wrote him something like a "wish tone" list, citing song titles which I associated to each of our song in terms of bass tone.

This way, he had full tone control and the result is that my tone is quite varied to best fit the overall mix for each song. One might prefer a "single sound" (though it's never really so in nowadays recordings) for the whole EP/LP, that's fine as well, all the options are open once you have your inst. signal down.
Well... there's actually a downside to this: at the time being, I don't know how he exactly processed each single bass track, therefore what amps/cabs the signal was sent through later! :rolleyes: But I'll ask him... by the way, I'm really happy with the overall result, and that's what counts

Edited by EmaTheMirror