Why become a member? ×

Activ/Passive compression - quick question

cockbongo

Ok. I have a Warwick 5 Jazzman, which has passive pickups but active electronics.

I've just bought a new compression pedal, and the pedal's input has a switch on the back to choose between active/passive input.

When i switch it to "active" and turn the pedal on, the input level goes right down and is much quieter than when the pedal isn't activated. When the switch is at "passive" the volumes are much more even.

Now i've checked and I have the switch functions the right way round - can anyone tell me why this happens? I would have thought my bass out out would be "active" but does this indicate that it isn't?

any help would be great

Tony

Hi Tony,

Usually such a switch simply lowers the input signal a bit so that if you are using an active bass you run less risk of clipping. I have found various active basses have various output volumes - some quieter than passive basses and vice versa. I should just use which sounds best and stick with it. On my old Hartke 3500 head I used the passive input all the time, but with my current bass I have to use active inputs as it is extremely loud!!

Cheers
ped