Why become a member? ×

Choosing 1st bass

Mapas

Hi! I am Stelios from Greece, I play for many years guitar and now i want to explore the rythm side of the band and I am really interested to bass... I know some things about the bass guitar and I can play... A friend of mine will give me a bass today, but, if I finally like the instrument, I am thinking of buying one, I have many mane choices, and I dont know which to choose, i have more than 6-7 choices for basses and more than 5-6 for amps, and i have to choose a nice combination of them... After more than 2 days research I found these basses to "suit" me, as I think:

1. Ibanez GSR200 (230€)
2. Cort Action 4 (212€)
3. Fender Squier Showmaster (222€)
4. ESP LTD B-50 (229€ NEW), used with some scratches+amp 20w Drive is the brand of the amp and a Digitech multieffects pedal MB80, 220€ all of the above, and if I want I can tell him to give me the bass and the multieffects pedal for 140€
5. Warwick Standard 4 with amp (Warwick Blue Cab) 15w bag 'n' cable, 300€, with 30w amp 327€
6. Warwick LX4 with amp (Warwick Blue Cab) 15w bag 'n' cable, 344€ with 30w amp 364€

And these for the amps:

1. The Warwick ones I mentioned above (Blue Cab 15 k 30 watt)
2. Marshall MB30 (167€, NEW) 100€ used, from a guy
3. Marshall MB25 (173€)
4. Fender Rumble 60 (175€)
5. Fender Rumble 15 (105€)
6. Kustom KBA-30 (150€)

I want your opinion for a combination that dont exceed 350€! Just your opinion, plz dont just tell me "its your choice" and things like this!

Thank you in advance!

If I were you I'd go for the 2nd hand ESP bass then you will have more money left to spend on an amp with a bit more power. Forget the 30W and lower amps as you will never be heard well in a band practice (unless you rehearse in a library). Go for at least 75W amp or they will never hear you with guitar and drums going.

Mapas, unfortunately Al is correct. If you are going to practice live with drums and guitars you will need a 100w solid state or maybe just less (75w+) valve amp. if your drummer is using real drums (as opposed to digi drums) you will not be able to be heard.

Of your basses mentioned above I'd go for either of the Warwicks and try to push for the 60w blue cab amp! (you might just be heard with that!)... OR

get the Warwick bass then look for a good 100w combo 2ndhand.....?

You said a friend of yours will give you a bass - if you like it, and you can keep it, then I'd actually suggest using that and putting your total budget into an amp. A cheap bass into a good amp can sound great. A good bass into a cheap amp won't sound great.

As the guys have said above, if you want to play with a band, you'll need a lot more power than 60w. I'd say at least 150w to be comfortable.

[quote name='Mapas' post='695060' date='Dec 28 2009, 07:15 PM']but, if i definitely need to buy one, i will may buy the used bass (140E) and an amp at a budget about 200E++++, do you have any amps to suggest me? up to 250E budget![/quote]

Really for that kind of cash you're better off looking at second hand. At that kind of price you should be able to score a pretty powerful combo on eBay or something, or maybe even a little stack.

[quote name='Mapas' post='695060' date='Dec 28 2009, 07:15 PM']but, if i definitely need to buy one, i will may buy the used bass (140E) and an amp at a budget about 200E++++, do you have any amps to suggest me? up to 250E budget![/quote]

Sounds like Ebay (or the equivalent in Greece) would be a good bet! With a relatively low budget you are going to find buying new limits your choice massively. If you are prepared to look at used gear then you can (as others on here have found) get some fantastic deals. Yes, you can also get ripped off, but that's where having someone advise to you becomes invaluable. There are lots of folks on here who (I am sure) would be happy to advise you on an item you'd seen online...

Buying new is over-rated!!

ive searched all greek online 2nd hand market and found only the above ive mentoned.... we dont have greek ebay and the shipping costs to order from the global one r giong to be looots.... :S but, the drumer is going to buy digi drums and the other guitarists dont have more than 25w amps.... when i go home ill search more in 2nd hand market but, how can i trust the seller, i mean, the amp/bass may have problems :S (the guy who's going to give me the bass is gonna need in a month, maybe more...

[quote name='Mapas' post='695073' date='Dec 28 2009, 07:29 PM']how can i trust the seller, i mean, the amp/bass may have problems :S[/quote]

That's the problem! If you're not sure, only bid on items that are close enough to you that you can go and see/try them!!

Many of us have been bitten that way! :)