Why become a member? ×

Boss SYB-5

sjdean

Im a budding bassist, probably will never get around to doing anything about it, but being a bit of a techno-geek, the more gadgets I got the better. I already have a Zoom 708 2 multieffects pedal and Im Ok with it - I just got it for at home.

Now I don't know all the jargon, so forgive me.

But I thought "I wonder if a Boss Syntheseizer SYB-5 will give me the ability to sound a bit more "geddy lee" like, so at least I don't get that initial, er, what do you call, it, sounds like computer generated fuzz.

But compared to the Zoom 708 2 and its Synth option, the SYB-5 is a bit let down. It seems to rely on a hugely clean signal, so when combined with a gate effect before hand (maybe it should be the other way?), you just hear a mass of repeatededly overdubbed synth tones. Even without the gate effect, if the string bends slightly or rattles the fret it just triggers another sound. Don't get me started on trying to play particularly quick or playing two strings together. But it's also not very responsive in that you need to really lay into that string on full power otherwise the signal from the unit just dies.

The Zoom however, the response and sustain I guess are great and you can play as fast you want.

So yeah, SYB-5, big let down. :-( Bought the Behringer Flanger though and mightily impressed.

If I want a decent flexible Synth tone that won't break the bank and that works, whats gonna be the best thing to look at?

Cya
Simon

Hi,
There's a few threads & posts on here about bass synths, you'd be better off having a look at those tbh.
Most recent here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71591"]Bass Synths[/url]

Never had an SYB-5, tried one out & decided it wasn't for me. I personally use octaver,fuzz,compressor, envelope filters to get synthy tones, but I think EHX Bass Microsynth is good for the price.
Cheers