Why become a member? ×

Squire VM Jazz fretless

Cygnus x-1

Hi, wonder if anyone can help, I bought a second hand squire fretless vm jazz, it needed a little bit of attention including new strings and the neck relief sorting. Anyhow as I was to be changing the strings i thought I would add a new bridge. I have now fitted a Gotoch 201 B4 bridge and new set of Exilir strings.

I have set the bass up the best I can and it plays not to bad but, the action is a little high at just over 3mm at 12th fretline, the releif is about 0.5mm at the 8th fretline but the truss rod nut is fairly loose AND the action wont adjust any lower as the saddles on the bridge are as low as they will go, even though the Gotoch bridge is a nice bridge i'm tempted to re-fit the standard cheap bridge, is there something i'm missing, any suggestions appreciated.

As above, I have a 201 on my VMJ fretless and I did indeed have to shim the neck, the base plate of the Gotoh is just too thick to let the action drop lower.

Followed the excellent "How to shim a neck" guide right here, no probs at all, bass plays like a dream now.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='694489' date='Dec 27 2009, 07:43 PM']Hi, wonder if anyone can help, I bought a second hand squire fretless vm jazz, it needed a little bit of attention including new strings and the neck relief sorting. Anyhow as I was to be changing the strings i thought I would add a new bridge. I have now fitted a Gotoch 201 B4 bridge and new set of Exilir strings.

I have set the bass up the best I can and it plays not to bad but, the action is a little high at just over 3mm at 12th fretline, the releif is about 0.5mm at the 8th fretline but the truss rod nut is fairly loose AND the action wont adjust any lower as the saddles on the bridge are as low as they will go, even though the Gotoch bridge is a nice bridge i'm tempted to re-fit the standard cheap bridge, is there something i'm missing, any suggestions appreciated.[/quote]

i have fitted a 'gotoh' type bridge and found that
i live with it as the bow is flattish and the action at fret 12 is 3mm which is ok for me

i dont really fancy shimming necks...and if it really were a problem i would put the old bridge back on..the bent piece of tin type on my yamaha 275J