Why become a member? ×

DIY Speakon to jack conversion...

bassjamm

Hello there,

I'm not too knowledgeable with these kind of things, but I need to convert my Speakon to speakon cable, to a speakon to 1/4" jack cable. So I want to make use of my cabs speakon connection, but my amp only has 1/4" jack connections.

Now, I have my speakon cable, and I have a little jack cable that I'm going to use a jack connection from.

But...I don't know which bit I need to solder to which bit :rolleyes:

That's where you kind fellows come in I do hope :)

Here are some pics, so if you could simply say which bits I need to connect to which bit I'd very much appreciate it. So which part of the jack does the speakons blue cable solder to, and which bit does the speakon cables orange bit solder to?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

Pics:

[attachment=38563:DSC00426.JPG]

[attachment=38564:DSC00428.JPG]

[attachment=38565:DSC00425.JPG]

If you are only using one cable to one cab then it actually doesn't matter - either wire could go to either connection on the jack and work ok.

You would only get a problem if you were using two cabs, with two cables and these were wired opposite to each other. In that case the problem would be that the cabs were "out pf phase" - it would sound weak but no damage would be done to anything.

I would wire the orange to the centre connector of the jack (on the basis that orange/red = hot and blue = cold) and the blue to the shield or case of the jack.

[quote name='BOD2' post='689087' date='Dec 19 2009, 02:27 PM']If you are only using one cable to one cab then it actually doesn't matter - either wire could go to either connection on the jack and work ok.

You would only get a problem if you were using two cabs, with two cables and these were wired opposite to each other. In that case the problem would be that the cabs were "out pf phase" - it would sound weak but no damage would be done to anything.

I would wire the orange to the centre connector of the jack (on the basis that orange/red = hot and blue = cold) and the blue to the shield or case of the jack.[/quote]

Yep that's done it nicely thank you :) well...what I wanted anyway...my soldering was shocking :rolleyes: