Why become a member? ×

Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 String

thumperbob 2002

Hi All

Just bought a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String from SpectorNick- really good guy.

The bass hadnt been used for a while- strings dead and the action was really high. I set it up with Warwick black labels- lowered the action and raised the pickups- I am amazed at how well it sounds and plays. Even the B string is OK- My new workhorse - certainly fits better in my soul band than my Warwick Thumb!!

Feels like a different bass guitar!!

Cheers

Bob

I've had two, an ash one with rosewood board and alder/maple. The b string is darker sounding than other basses - not something that matters massively in a normal band situation but put me off enough to move both on. Would make a killer 4-string though... bit I agree that a decent setup makes all the difference. Funnily enough there was a us standard 5 at the gallery which had a really good b.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='685297' date='Dec 15 2009, 03:31 PM']Hi All

Just bought a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String from SpectorNick- really good guy.

The bass hadnt been used for a while- strings dead and the action was really high. I set it up with Warwick black labels- lowered the action and raised the pickups- I am amazed at how well it sounds and plays. Even the B string is OK- My new workhorse - certainly fits better in my soul band than my Warwick Thumb!!

Feels like a different bass guitar!!

Cheers

Bob[/quote]
I've had two, both bought via Basschat and both excellent basses. I use my present one for gigging and we play stuff from old Motown tunes right through to Coldplay and The Killers and it works really well in all musical settings.. The low B is not as defined as on some 35" scale basses but it's still pretty good.

Interestingly The Deluxe 5 Jazz seems to have vanished from the Fender range - the P Bass Deluxe 5 disappeared a couple of years ago, then the Ash Jazz 5 deluxe, now the only American 5 is the Standard, or else an Artist or Custom Shop model. It's on the UK site but gone from the newer US site. Perhaps they're planning something... :)