Why become a member? ×

Sanding a painted finished neck

erisu

[quote name='erisu' post='672895' date='Dec 3 2009, 09:50 AM']I tested the .800 pads on my SG copy guitar last night and the results were INCREDIBLE! Instantly after about 5 rubs up and down the neck, there was instant results and the neck felt so damn smooth and nice!!! I didn't use a wooden block nor did I use any water/washing up liquid to rub it which was a big naughty from me but hey! It was on a cheap guitar that I don't use anymore and yet the results were fabulous!

I'll move onto the bass this Saturday when I have more time and I'll be using water and washing up liquid on Saturday :)[/quote]

Glad to hear that the results are that what you are looking for.

You'll notice a difference when you use washing up liquid and water when sanding. It acts as a lubricant meaning there is less chance of skipping and when used with a block, you'll end up with a smoother, more consistent overall finish. Without a block and water, you'll find you may get patchy areas of gloss amongst the satin areas. Of course, when you try and satin down these gloss bits, you'll start rubbing away at the lower areas of finish - risking an undulating finish! Wouldn't want you to get into a mess on your neck over a bit of water and washing up liquid and a block!

Belive me, I've done this more than once before! The block and water/washing up liquid should be a must!

Remember to post up "a before" and "after shot" and some discussion over the new "feel". Enjoy!

Great! I can't imagine how better it'll feel and look when I do it properly on Saturday on my beloved bass :rolleyes: lol I'm not sure if you will be able to see the difference as the finish on the neck is white so when taking a picture, it'll be hard to see the difference? :) I'll try to get the best angles as possible with my camera.

Will keep this thread updated!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='673275' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:23 PM']Glad to hear that the results are that what you are looking for.

You'll notice a difference when you use washing up liquid and water when sanding. It acts as a lubricant meaning there is less chance of skipping and when used with a block, you'll end up with a smoother, more consistent overall finish. Without a block and water, you'll find you may get patchy areas of gloss amongst the satin areas. Of course, when you try and satin down these gloss bits, you'll start rubbing away at the lower areas of finish - risking an undulating finish! Wouldn't want you to get into a mess on your neck over a bit of water and washing up liquid and a block!

Belive me, I've done this more than once before! The block and water/washing up liquid should be a must!

Remember to post up "a before" and "after shot" and some discussion over the new "feel". Enjoy![/quote]

Oops! I'm late! ^_^

Sanded the neck last Saturday and it feels like a babies bottom now! It's extremely easy to slide and very fast now! Unfortunately I couldn't take a good enough picture because of lighting in my house as you won't be able to see the difference in satin and glossed parts of the neck. But If anyone was having the same problems as I was, I recommend this method to solve sticky/glossed necks!

[quote name='erisu' post='679078' date='Dec 9 2009, 02:12 PM']Oops! I'm late! ^_^

Sanded the neck last Saturday and it feels like a babies bottom now! It's extremely easy to slide and very fast now! Unfortunately I couldn't take a good enough picture because of lighting in my house as you won't be able to see the difference in satin and glossed parts of the neck. But If anyone was having the same problems as I was, I recommend this method to solve sticky/glossed necks![/quote]

Nice one! Glad to hear that it worked out for you. It's a great trick isn't it?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='679377' date='Dec 9 2009, 06:52 PM']Nice one! Glad to hear that it worked out for you. It's a great trick isn't it?[/quote]

Much better than I anticipated :rolleyes: Let's hope I don't get obsessed with this wet and dry sanding technique! :)