Why become a member? ×

Getting the horn!

mikhay77

Hi there,I'm thinking of adding a horn to my trace 1048 cab.The fitting is not a problem and I'm pretty competent at soldering etc.Its advice on what sort of driver and crossover to fit.Its a 300w,8 ohm cab so does this mean I need a 300w comp driver? What sort of crossover frequency to look for.Is there a matched pair for this sort of thing? Or the spec on the trace one fitted to the 1048h.I know its all down to personnel preference but any advice would be most grateful.Cheers.Mike.

[quote name='mikhay77' post='670349' date='Nov 30 2009, 08:00 PM']Hi there,I'm thinking of adding a horn to my trace 1048 cab.The fitting is not a problem and I'm pretty competent at soldering etc.Its advice on what sort of driver and crossover to fit.Its a 300w,8 ohm cab so does this mean I need a 300w comp driver? What sort of crossover frequency to look for.Is there a matched pair for this sort of thing? Or the spec on the trace one fitted to the 1048h.I know its all down to personnel preference but any advice would be most grateful.Cheers.Mike.[/quote]

Hi Mike,

Well the good news is that you don't need a 300W tweeter! You'll find most tweeters in bass cabs are rated at only 20-50W because there's so little power up there. The crossover needs to match the tweeter so you're best off looking for a company that can supply a stock highpass filter for its tweeters, otherwise you'll need to design one yourself which isn't the easiest job - especially if you want to do it well. In an ideal world you'd match the roll-off of the woofers to that of the highpassed tweeter but without measurement kit you're not going to be able to get that information. You'll probably want an adjustable L-pad as well so you can turn the tweeter up and down.

It's probably worth hunting through talkbass to see if anyone's done this before, could save you quite a bit of research time!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='670866' date='Dec 1 2009, 11:13 AM']Hi Mike,

Well the good news is that you don't need a 300W tweeter! You'll find most tweeters in bass cabs are rated at only 20-50W because there's so little power up there. The crossover needs to match the tweeter so you're best off looking for a company that can supply a stock highpass filter for its tweeters, otherwise you'll need to design one yourself which isn't the easiest job - especially if you want to do it well. In an ideal world you'd match the roll-off of the woofers to that of the highpassed tweeter but without measurement kit you're not going to be able to get that information. You'll probably want an adjustable L-pad as well so you can turn the tweeter up and down.

It's probably worth hunting through talkbass to see if anyone's done this before, could save you quite a bit of research time!

Alex[/quote]
Thanks for that Alex,that makes sense now as far as roll off goes,will search around see what I can find out.Suppose I could email those kind folk at TE and you never know they may tell me some dark secrets lol.Looking around I have seen some celestion high pass crossovers and 80w horn roll off about 4k I think,does that sound right? I can try that as its not too expensive.I suppose any horn is better than none at all!