Why become a member? ×

Graphite bass question

robocorpse

OK, I have had Steinberger, Status and Kubicki basses. I love the hi-fi sound (especially my new Status!) but am having problems with string clearance between string and the face of the bass, so digging in with a pick is NOT an option on the Status. The Steinberger doesn't sound as good, but it has bags of room to really get stuck in with the pick and not smash hell out of the top between the pickups where my picking hand usually lives. This is consequently why the Steiny is my fave live bass.
Does anyone have experience of enough graphite basses (preferably neck through) to give me some pointers on which ones have better clearance than my S2?

Considered [url="http://www.gusguitars.com/"]Gus[/url]?

Construction is a little bit different as it's a 2.5mm carbon-fibre skin over cedar, so it sounds more traditional than the ones you've listed in your post. I have 9-10mm clearance between the bottom of the string and front of the body on my 2 fretted G3s with a fairly low action.

All of the early Status basses have that very small distance between the body & the top of the fingerboard. I have one friend who swears by that design. All of the new ones (with the monorail bridge units) have much greater clearance, due to a taller piece of fingerboard at the body end.

You wouldn't find that problem with any of the modern basses. :)