Why become a member? ×

my dyslexia

jimmypreston

To add to the above, he's discriminated at for jobs, social life...basically most things. He works in a FLORIST (which he get's called gay, fudge packer etc from boys passing the shop) as its the only job he could get as theres no text involved whatsoever. He lives on a small island so there isn't nowhere else to work, or nobody else to talk to. This forum is new and amazing to him he can express his views on music, share his music interests and thoughts and he was hoping he'd get a release from what sounds like quite a difficult time for this poor lad. I respect hugely that like a knight lives by his sword, he lives by his bass.

I know he can talk for himself, but he has told me he's a bit shy to say at times, and has mentioned me listing some of this since somebody mocked him on here. He did actually nearly leave the forum over it.

It sounds like im sucking up to him and licking his bum, Im not, i just wish the world could be a little less disciminative.

Sorry for my rant,

Edited by maddude16

Hey Jimmy

No one has the right to make you feel bad for something you can't do anything about. Don't let it get to you though, a good mate of mine at uni had really bad dyslexia and left with a very high 2:1 in Business and Management and he was only a few marks off a 1st. He now has a really good job in high level management for a big company and earns about £40,000 a year. And he's only 24 years old! Whether or not you have dyslexia has nothing to do with how intelligent you are.

My girlfriend is a psychologist and has told me about a lot of very interesting theories about how our brains work. Basically because you suffer from dyslexia your brain processes information differently to someone else. It doesn't effect the way you think or how clever you are, it's just different that's all. Take colour blindness for example. My brother in law can't tell the difference between brown and purple but he has a masters degree in English Literature. Another friend of mine gets her words mixed up when she talks sometimes (I don't know what her condition is called sorry!) and she's currently in her last year of a PHD in Advanced Medical Chemistry at Oxford University.

Just because you have dyslexia doesn't mean you can't make very valuable and welcome contributions to the forum.

A warm and sincere welcome to you.

Adam

Hey Jim.

Welcome to the forum and if I may I'd like to echo what others have said.... don't let the bastards grind you down, stay positive and ignore any misguided attempts at humour. My wife has mild dylexsia and it is not funny at all.
All the best and I look forward to reading your posts.

Gareth.