Why become a member? ×

Hartke transporter 2x10 150w cabs - buzzing

Philboyo

Hello there
I have two hartke tp210 cabs that recently have started to buzz/flap/blarp when playing low ends. They used to be fine being run from a hartke 3000 amp.
I thought it was one driver/speaker in each cab that was faulty and so swapped them about to create one good cab and one not so good cab but much to my chagrin the results have not changed. Do i have four blown speakers? On some other web site forums it is claimed that you cant easily blow hartke speakers and that my problem is to do with a) temperature and :) the black cover on the driver has come loose(on all four?)
I have since sold the hartke amp and am using my brand new Ashdown ABM C210T-300 EVO II Combo for testing purposes.
Help please?

Phil

When you say 'the black cover on the driver', do you mean the dome in the middle of each cone (usually called the dustcap)? If that's loose it will vibrate against the cone and cause annoying buzzing sounds and it will also hiss/whistle/chuff as the driver goes back and forth and internal pressure causes air to rush in and out through the gap between dustcap and cone. You can usually glue dustcaps back on fairly easily but I'm not sure what kind of adhesive you'd need to bond with the aluminium and the paper and have suitable flex characteristics.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='662393' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:26 AM']When you say 'the black cover on the driver', do you mean the dome in the middle of each cone (usually called the dustcap)? If that's loose it will vibrate against the cone and cause annoying buzzing sounds and it will also hiss/whistle/chuff as the driver goes back and forth and internal pressure causes air to rush in and out through the gap between dustcap and cone. You can usually glue dustcaps back on fairly easily but I'm not sure what kind of adhesive you'd need to bond with the aluminium and the paper and have suitable flex characteristics.

Alex[/quote]

Hello Alex
Thanks for your reply.
This dustcap appears to be secured by some black tape around the edges so i suppose i can just cut that carefully and see what is underneath yes?
I have some evostick and putting a blob under the cap may do the trick. Does it matter what tape i then use to refix ? Special speaker/dustcap fixing tape?
I have also contacted Hartke at Samsontech who were not much help and told me to take it to the nearest distributor for repair which happen to be KORG in Milton Keynes.
Thanks again.
Phil