Why become a member? ×

Red Jackson CD No3 - Done & Dusted!

teej

Whoohoo!

Last night I sat with our engineer/producer finishing off the mix, and mastered our third CD - 'Hey Now!', and this morning got the laser proofs of the artwork ready to send to the factory after lunch. All done and dusted! A big relief; I do much of the recording and all the artwork, sit in with the engineer and then send it all off to the factory. Off to Galway on Monday for a welcome break!

The album's a mix of stuff from real oldtime blues (Nobody's Fault But Mine, on banjo, upright and small kit), to Tarantino-esque surf-rock, with jump blues, rockabilly, chicago blues, country blues and New Orleans street grooves in there too.

We used a MacBook Pro, Logic 9 and a Presonus Firepod for all of the recordings. Some (mainly the quieter ones) were recorded at the drummer's house using a matched pair of Rode NT1s to record the room; positioning the kit, unamplified upright, guitar/harmonica amp and singer to create the levels and stereo image, and performing live. Some tracks had overdubs added - second guitar or backing vocals. Another 5 tracks were recorded at Electric Studio, Brighton, in their recording room, using their mics and preamps, and with an assistant operating my laptop and the firepod. Everything close mic-ed and performed live. Some overdubs followed.

I'm very pleased with the sound of all of the recordings, and I think you'd be hard pressed to tell which are which. However, it was much less stressful for me having someone else push the buttons.

Once I get some samples converted to mp3 for the website I'll post a link here...

meanwhile, here's the cover:

Edited by teej