Why become a member? ×

trace elliot tab 100 is it fried

doghouse

Can anyone help playing a gig saturday night, first song second set the sound went and i had smoke coming from the rear speaker port and could smell burning. so i turned it off straight away. and went through the P.A. Anyone unfamiliar to this amp, the input and the graffic and volume are at the top and the power section is at the bottom at the rear.It looks like i will have to take the speaker out to get to the power section. does anyone have any information of the best way to do this or of what may have caused the problem. i hope it is not beyond economic repair. As this is the amp i always return to so im obviously gutted.
Any info is helpful.
Thanks, Mick.

Edited by doghouse

I don't know the TAB amps, but I have the AH250SMX. On mine, you can use just the preamp section with the power section muted.. does this work on yours?
I once had just a speaker go down, with this head driving it.. sparks and the works coming out of the cab.. I wondered why the rest of the band were laughing at me! No damage to the amp, glad to say.
If it was mine, I'd take out the speaker and put a meter across it to check that, plus wire the amp to a different speaker to check that. If the speaker's gone it's easy enough to pop another in; if the amp then you need a repairer.
Where are you? I know of a couple of amp repairers round Bradford/Halifax.
Best of luck, HUGH

edit: now I've replied I can see your location!

Edited by hubrad

[quote name='hubrad' post='656411' date='Nov 16 2009, 09:00 PM']I don't know the TAB amps, but I have the AH250SMX. On mine, you can use just the preamp section with the power section muted.. does this work on yours?
I once had just a speaker go down, with this head driving it.. sparks and the works coming out of the cab.. I wondered why the rest of the band were laughing at me! No damage to the amp, glad to say.
If it was mine, I'd take out the speaker and put a meter across it to check that, plus wire the amp to a different speaker to check that. If the speaker's gone it's easy enough to pop another in; if the amp then you need a repairer.
Where are you? I know of a couple of amp repairers round Bradford/Halifax.
Best of luck, HUGH

edit: now I've replied I can see your location![/quote]
thanks i still had the input light operating when the sound cutout

Without seeing it, that suggests the input stage is working.. if you can, try the things above, also try a lineout into another amp or desk.
If you can't then deffo you want a proper amp repairer. Probably there'll be someone else on here who can point towards such a person in your area.